Destination-Monterey, CA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FishDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Since my poll was studiously ignored by the target audience, I will refocus and question the divers that actually participate in this section of the forum.

As passionate local Monterey/Carmel divers, how do you describe our diving to others? A number of people felt the diving is World-Class (despite several nomenclature debates). What precisely, makes the diving great? How would you convince outside divers to dive here?

Nudibranchs and crabs!

In all reality, I haven't been diving anywhere else, so I can't really comment on how it's better than other places.

I take anyone to Monterey who is a certified diver, whether they are strictly warm water divers or not. For example, we had a German attorney working in our office for a few months, I found out he was certified and immediately started working on getting him out to explore our waters together, I couldn't wait to show him Breakwater. We had an amazing two dives, he had a wonderful time with the kelp, rock fish, nudibranchs, tube anenomes, sea lions. It was so cool to get him excited about diving in Monterey, and then the follow-through matched the excitement for diving our waters that I promised.
I love taking people here from elsewhere, I'm in wonder and amazement every time I dive, I enjoy sharing that excitement with others. I consider it world-class.

I usually tell people about the time I was finning through the kelp forest at Lovers and suddenly - unexplainably stopped. When I turned around there were two harbor seals - biting down playfully on each my fins to get my attention.

(((kevin)))

Honestly? I've told a few online diver friends from the midwest and east coast that shore diving in Monterey/Carmel is cold as fack with usually crap viz, annoying surge and ugly fish. But I've also told them that on really good days, it can be awesome. Then again, I wouldn't call myself a "passionate" Monterey diver. If I did, I'd have a drysuit and a scooter. :wink: I dive there because it's there and it's like our training ground. Maybe this will change eventually when we discover more awesome sites. After all, we've only done one boat dive there and just recently discovered the beauty that is Point Lobos.

As far as describing it as "world class", I personally have not developed that kind of closeness/fondness to the area yet. I was certified in Monterey February 2009 and have dived Oahu, Big Island, Philippines, Key Largo, and Bonaire. The only two cold water areas I can compare Monterey to would be Catalina (dive park and liveaboard experience) and a couple of wrecks in San Diego's Wreck Alley and a Point Loma kelp dive.

If I wanted to convince someone to dive here, I'd say the kelp forest is a great sight, the seals and sea lions are cute when they're friendly and not aggressive, some of the rock pinnacles are dotted with colors (much nicer to look at than say Hawaii's dead colorless rubble type of reefs), and giant metridium anemones will wow them.

If you're shore diving the Monterey side, it's not surprising that you have little excitement for diving in this area, especially in contrast to the Philippines.

Go boat diving in Carmel sometime. Two boat Pinnacle, East Pinnacle, Local's Ledge, are some of the usual boat dives that will change your outlook on our diving. Even some of the spots outside of Point Lobos' Whaler's Cove - Great Pinnacle, Thumbs Up, Half-Dome/The Needle, or the east side of Bluefish Cove.

Pictures speak for themselves. Take some, post some.

If you're shore diving the Monterey side, it's not surprising that you have little excitement for diving in this area, especially in contrast to the Philippines.

Go boat diving in Carmel sometime. Two boat Pinnacle, East Pinnacle, Local's Ledge, are some of the usual boat dives that will change your outlook on our diving. Even some of the spots outside of Point Lobos' Whaler's Cove - Great Pinnacle, Thumbs Up, Half-Dome/The Needle, or the east side of Bluefish Cove.

I'm trying! :) We're diving off a friend's boat this Sunday; I hope the conditions are ok. I just housed my SLR and I'm not gonna try to lug this big beast on shore dives. Sometimes I post my pics on the uw photog forum. Last week I tested a new strobe and got some decent fish faces at breakwater: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/un...343251-fish-faces-breakwater-monterey-ca.html

Oh she has... and she's pretty good at it too!

Then again, I wouldn't call myself a "passionate" Monterey diver. If I did, I'd have a drysuit and a scooter.

I think it takes more commitment to jump in with a wetsuit. My hat's off to you... oh and when you want to talk about drysuits and scooter let me know... we'll do coffee and chat :wink: (don't worry the first taste is free...)

Oh she has... and she's pretty good at it too!

I think it takes more commitment to jump in with a wetsuit. My hat's off to you... oh and when you want to talk about drysuits and scooter let me know... we'll do coffee and chat :wink: (don't worry the first taste is free...)

Ben, you're too nice. I think Max and I don't see as much when we dive by ourselves because we don't know where the heck to look. That's why I really enjoyed your free tour at Lobos last time and wish you can take us to Monastery someday. And if you find a used drysuit that'll fit me for under $500, let me know. lol and is it possible to dive with a full camera rig AND a scooter? If that person exists, I wanna marry him/her, that's just craziness.

FishDiver, how about a "MoCal Promotion" thread for those who want to visit? (unless you had a different objective) You can include links to Gombessa's videos because they're awesome and Larry_C's pictures (though I'm not sure if he has his own site).

lol and is it possible to dive with a full camera rig AND a scooter? If that person exists, I wanna marry him/her, that's just craziness.

Mo2vation :)

It's amazing what he and his girl wonder HBDivegirl do with scooters and cameras do but if you want to hear more he'll be in town Labor day weekend... :wink:

Back
Top Bottom