Destin Jetties dive report 3/26/05

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaYoda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This dive actually started earlier this week as I kept a close eye on the weather channel as they predicted thunderstorms. This morning as I was loading the gear into the car, the sun was peeking through a cloudy sky. By the time I got out of the car at the Jetties the rain began to fall - typical Florida weather. There was no sign of thunderstorms so I continued with the plan to dive. The viz was about 15' and the temperature was 65 degrees at 30'. I stayed on the North side of the finger Jetty so no current to speak of. There were not many schools of fish again today - I guess the temps have not climbed enough for them to come back yet. I saw one Sheepshead on the way in and a school of Mullet on the way out. Everything else was small or a Wrasse. The thunderstorms started as I got my tanks refilled at ScubaTech so I just made that one by the skin of my teeth. Attached are some pics from the dive.

Good report Seayoda. Are they still dredging in the pass? I am coming to Destin friday and want to dive the jetties possilbe Saturday, but I am for sure going to be diving the springs.

The dredges are set up by the bridge but either due to weather or holiday nothing was going on today. If there is a good high tide the dredging should not affect the viz at all. Today was a double high tide and not very strong. The storms may be churning up more stuff than the sand suckers. I'd join you but I'll be getting ready for my daughter's wedding on Saturday - the wife might frown a little if I left for a dive in the middle of the set-up and rehearsal :D.

Great pics SY! I like the crab and the blenny. The blenny shot is definately an eyecatcher. I'm hoping to be down that way in June to dive in the destin area. I'll make sure I hit ya up when I'm coming down that way. Of course Cypress is 4-16.. :)

Matt

Cool pics SeaYoda. You warming up the water for me?

Great report! The viz here in the St. John's River in Jax. is still a whopping 3-5 feet, not a whole lot that can be seen. I did find some interesting bottles near the old ferry crossing though...dated them back to the late 1800's. Heading south to the keys soon, I'll drop a report when I get back.

jviehe:
Cool pics SeaYoda. You warming up the water for me?
Is that the same as peeing in your wet suit? :D :D :D

Great report SeaYoda - I wish I could have been there.

It looks like I'll be able to hit the jeddies next Saturday afternoon, it looks like there is a fairly respectable tidal swing - so I'm hoping for good visibility. The high is at 4:20PM and we are bringing some non-divers for some beach fun so probably arriving early.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom