Destin Jetties dive pics 7/14/04

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaYoda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Kind of a strange dive today - lots of current and had to crawl along the rocks. There was a school of catfish that hung around most of the dive. I got bit in the ear and upper lip by wrasses. Picture taking was disturbed by a group of divers twice - one time I got smacked in the head with a fin. Here's some pics of what I liked during the dive. Still working on getting used to manual mode so please bear with the not so great depth of field.

I love the jellies in that second one, great composition. What's the background on the Spotfin Butterfly?

I've never seen a catfish in salt water. It looks like one of our FW channel cats.

Dee:
I love the jellies in that second one, great composition. What's the background on the Spotfin Butterfly?

I've never seen a catfish in salt water. It looks like one of our FW channel cats.
Thanks.

I am actually a hero to that second jelly, it was caught on a rock and before the fish ate him I set him free. He returned the favor by letting me get one pic of him on his way out to sea.

The spotfin background is the same old bright white sand. I had some other shots of this little guy but all blurry from my settings and his swimming - hard to shoot a one inch free floating bullit :D .

Don't know much about the catfish. The water coming out of the bay is not as salty as the Gulf. These catfish were there at high tide so the salt content should have been the same as the Gulf. I've heard of people catching them in the Gulf too.

SeaYoda:
Thanks.

I am actually a hero to that second jelly, it was caught on a rock and before the fish ate him I set him free. He returned the favor by letting me get one pic of him on his way out to sea.

The spotfin background is the same old bright white sand. I had some other shots of this little guy but all blurry from my settings and his swimming - hard to shoot a one inch free floating bullit :D .

Don't know much about the catfish. The water coming out of the bay is not as salty as the Gulf. These catfish were there at high tide so the salt content should have been the same as the Gulf. I've heard of people catching them in the Gulf too.

So the Spotfin is a tiny Juvie? Cool find! The sand is blown out, making it look like you've cut him out and placed him on a white background, except for that small shadow. You did a good job on the fish in those conditions. The catfish could be the same as ours. They will tolerate brackish water and can get adjusted to full salt for awhile. Your mention of the bay makes me think he came from a FW source that leads into the bay. That's neat!

Dee:
So the Spotfin is a tiny Juvie? Cool find!...
The funny thing about this fish is that there were no others there and I've only ever seen three, including this one. I was taking pictures of another fish and he popped into the LCD. I took ten shots trying to get him to hold still. I guess that makes me 10% good :D .

SeaYoda:
I took ten shots trying to get him to hold still. I guess that makes me 10% good :D .

No, that makes you 90% critical! :D

SeaYoda,
You just keep improving with every outing! I love the jellies also.
Keep up the good work my friend!

I love those jellies too - are the first two Compass Jellys?

That last one looks like it would make a cool avatar too!!

Those are hardhead catfish, you can catch them in brackish water or in full blown saltwater. They are fairly prevelent along the beaches here.

Excellent shots SeaYoda :) I didn't see a single Jelly last Saturday and thought about ditching my diveskin for this coming Sunday. I suppose I'll be wearing it after-all!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom