Destin Jetties dive pics 6/28/04

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaYoda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I squeezed a dive in at 8 am this morning after working night shift. The viz was well worth the staying awake. Not much in the way of fancy critters, I guess with all the viz they thought they might get eaten. Here are a few pics for those who like to cyberdive like me.

I don't want to be critical but all these photos look really washed out to me, not much color at all. Did you just over process them or is it me? I just recalibrated my monitor so I'm confident it's set right.

Dee:
I don't want to be critical but all these photos look really washed out to me, not much color at all. Did you just over process them or is it me? I just recalibrated my monitor so I'm confident it's set right.
I believe it is from two things:

1. I just hit autolevels in PS7 - no further processing yet.

2. When I white balance on the sand here it seems to make everything very white in my shots.

I think it's because where I shoot there is a lot of that same white sand so everything goes white. I have not played with using different shades of white balance slates yet - I'm going to try and rig some kind of holder for the slate onto the housing first. I have not tried to lessen the exposure yet either, that might help. Until then I'll just do manual adjusting in PS7 I guess.

Still nice pics Yoda. I do know that the water is so clear in Panama City that the vis is the best since I moved here in 96'. The Emerald Coast rocks.........

I tried two more ways of adjusting the anchor picture. The first is mostly auto the second is all manual. Look at the fishing beads to the right of the anchor and you will see that if there was some color other than white it would do OK.

jewey4:
Is that first pic a bird carcass they're chowing on? Creepy but fascinating.
That is actually a fish head and ribs. The fishing fleet dumps its leftovers just outside the jetty and a lot just gets pushed in with the tide. Sometimes it is pretty ugly and I don't know why I have not see any sharks in the two years that I've been diving the jetties - I do stay pretty sheltered by the rocks so that may be why. The crabs are very abundant and love the feast!

Nice pics :)

Just for fun, try shooting a few frames next time in RAW. No need to white balance for the shot, just do what you normally do for manual settings and fire away. It does take a little time to write but it is very cool to see what can be done back at the computer.

You might not switch to RAW for everything, but it sure does make things easier to work with.

Yoda...I thought you may have done the 'mandrake' thing to them. Looking closer, there's really not much there to have color except the fish and water. The fishing lure shows up well. I think it was the lack of color in the water that made me really notice it. But I've got some shots like that, too. I'd have to go back and check but I think they were in Panama City, too!

I've been using PS7. Wouldn't I have to have the RAW plugin to see the photos or do anything to them? I've wanted to try RAW just to see what all the buzz was but haven't because of that plugin thing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom