Destin Jetties August 18-20

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

av8er23

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I will be in Destin, FL on August 18-20. I was considering diving the Jetties. I have never dove the Destin Jetties. I have dove St. Andrews in Panama City twice. It appears that the tide charts are not too favorable for the dates that I am there. Are there any other interesting shore dives or snorkels?
Could I get some opinions that frequently dive this location.

Also has anyone ever been to any of the small islands around that area?

Thanks

Tides for East Pass (Destin) starting with August 18, 2007.
Day High Tide Height Sunrise Moon Time % Moon
/Low Time Feet Sunset Visible

Sa 18 High 2:24 AM 0.6 6:15 AM Rise 11:23 AM 22
18 Low 12:15 PM 0.2 7:25 PM Set 10:21 PM

Su 19 High 2:40 AM 0.7 6:15 AM Rise 12:19 PM 30
19 Low 1:34 PM 0.1 7:24 PM Set 10:54 PM

M 20 High 3:15 AM 0.7 6:16 AM Rise 1:16 PM 39
20 Low 2:59 PM 0.1 7:23 PM Set 11:31 PM

You can snorkle the jetties about anytime. I've been out there in times when it wasn't high tide and the current wasn't that bad. (Been there when it was too and the water was murky, so just a gamble). Same goes for diving it off high tide.

The Crystal Pier Pilings are great to snorkel if conditions are calm. You can dive there too, but beach eroision has made it only maybe 10-12' deep and more like 8' in most of it. It's located at 3290 Scenic Highway 98. Look for the gazebo at the beach acess between Crystal Sands East & West building.
The pier pilings go about about 100 yards I'd guess, but 90% of them are cut off below the waterline, so you can't see them from the beach, but still good for snorkeling. FYI.... lots of Destin Beach Patrol coverage here and if diving they'll "remind" you that you need to tow a dive flag. never seen them hassle snorklers though.

There is a sailboat off Okaloosa island that Bugman told me about, but I haven't made it over there yet. he said it was pretty good place to burn the last 1000psi of a tank out, but not to use a hole tank on.

other choices are the springs are only within an hour drive of Destin.

I've been told that the Crystal Pier Pilings were pulled up, atleast on land. My source didn't go into the water to check on the submerged pilings.

The sailboat was no longer visibile from the surface on Okaloosa Island. I didn't jump in the water to see if it had just fallen over on its side, or if just the mast was cut down, or if the entire boat was salvaged.

There is a set of pilings on the beach at the condo just West of the Best Western on Okaloosa Island(Fort Walton). Didn't snorkel it, so dunno how far out they go. There are atleast a few rows going into the water that I could see from the balcony to the room I had a couple weeks ago.

SuPrBuGmAn:
I've been told that the Crystal Pier Pilings were pulled up, atleast on land. My source didn't go into the water to check on the submerged pilings.

I was like WHAT!!! ... (when I ready your above quote).

so I called the condo rental in front of it and they siad the pilings are still up! **WHEW** (that's where we stay when we go down). They said the old pier is considered a historical landmark and the beach restoration crews couldn't tear them down.

They did do the beach renurishment back a month or so ago and that is done.

Historical? :/

Good to know that they are still there, I guess, I never bothered to dive them(or snorkel). I'll pass that info along to where I got it, maybe he was just in the wrong place or something.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom