Destin Jetties 7-1 & 7-2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Flounder3.jpg

Razorfish.jpg

Stonecrab.jpg

Butterfly.jpg

Gunard2.jpg

Sandfish.jpg

Toadfish2.jpg

Nice Pics! I especially like the fifth one (I have no clue) and the seventh (Scorpionfish?)

Nice collection!

7th is a flavor of Toadfish very common to the jetties. The 5th is a Flying Gurnard, first time I've ever seen one. There is blue outlining the 'wings' and also inbetween the fans - very pretty when they are open. Too bad I didn't catch that on 'film'.

mike_s:
are these the same as the 'flying fish' that I've seen 'fly' above the water in the Atlantic?

Naw, I dont think these guys actually fly. I think the name comes from the fins they possess, that look like wings. They seem to just hug the bottom.

calypsonick:
Cool shots Mat! I like the toadfish alot. Looks like you had good viz.

I'm glad you enjoyed em! Vis was 20-30', about average for this particular site I suppose. Much much better than my local sites :D

Very nice!

SuPrBuGmAn:
Naw, I dont think these guys actually fly. I think the name comes from the fins they possess, that look like wings. They seem to just hug the bottom.

I've actually see a 'flying fish' actually 'fly'. several times. All out in the gulf stream on crossings over to the bahamas. they skim across the top of the water at maybe 3 to 8 feet and go for distances of maybe 50 -100 feet or longer.

we actually had several of them 'fly' into the cockpit of our boat one time at night. it was very surprising.

(however, I'm not sure if that is the exact same fish as in your pic that I'm talking about).

I know there are flying fish, I'm just saying, these aren't them.

Back
Top Bottom