? Destin, FL ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RDP

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My wife and I will be traveling to Destin, FL the last week of July. Please share experiences and suggestions on sites, local shops, charters, etc...

RDP:
My wife and I will be traveling to Destin, FL the last week of July. Please share experiences and suggestions on sites, local shops, charters, etc...

Aquanaut 42' and Underpressure 31' Emerald Coast Scuba Destin 850 837 0955

Sea Cobra 45' and mongooe 33' Scubatech Destin 850 837 1933

CDIVER2 - Thanks for the reply. What dives, specifically, did you do on these charters? We have searched these websites, as well as others, but you know how that is. It is always good when one has personal experiences and/or recommendations.

Hello, RDP. There are 2 general types of diving in Destin: 1) diving the bottom near rocks (Amberjack Rock is a popular site) or ledges (the ledges make a reef with 2-5' of relief), and 2) diving on any of the many wrecks, bridge rubble, or other junk that litters the Florida panhandle coast. A typical day will have you diving the bottom, which is usually in the 70' range, for your first dive, then diving a tug or barge nearer shore for the second dive. Visibility and quality of diving is hit and miss, but late July is a good time to try. Look for unusual fish like batfish or toadfish on every dive deeper than 50' (see http://claycoleman.tripod.com/id113.htm) -Clay

RDP:
CDIVER2 - Thanks for the reply. What dives, specifically, did you do on these charters? We have searched these websites, as well as others, but you know how that is. It is always good when one has personal experiences and/or recommendations.

I have not dived that area I'm just getting a list of Fl dive charters together. L/diver has good info thou.

I have been out with both ScubaTech and Emerald coast. Both are good outfits to go out with. I've been to the phoenix barge, air force barge, Miss Louise tug, a generic "reef", and the bridge rubble. The shop picks where you are going, sometimes ruled by classes of newbies. Mix of creatures varys not so much by site but by what happens to be there at the time. Viz was as little as 15' and as much as 25' on my dives. Some said this year there have been 100' days. My favorite was the bridge rubble - more holes for things to live in. Don't forget my hang out, the jetties. Check out my dive reports in this forum and my gallery for some pics from the jetties. Sorry I don't have pics of boat dives, that was B.C. (before camera) when I had money to go for a ride :D .

I've been to all the same sites SeaYoda has just listed and have had 30-60' vis towards the end of last year. I have some pictures of the Air Force Barge and Bridge Rubble, but they aren't that good - me and my buddy are absolutely horrid photographers :wink: We've used ScubaTech everytime and haven't had any complaints whatsoever.

I tried diving the jeddies, but didn't look into the tides beforehand :) It seemed there was alot there to look at, but then again I can't be sure because it all went by so damned fast! I did see lots of toadfish before we got caught up in the current and I would have liked to hang around longer. I'm definately looking to get back over there.

http://www.suprbugman.com/gallery/album15

Thanks to all that have replied. I appreciate the info and the pics. I will definately contact ScubaTech. Are there any specific groups / places we should be aware to stay clear of?

--SeaYoda & SuPrBuGmAn--
I don't know it there are any incentives, but I can mention you guys as a reference, if you would like. Who knows, you might get something out of it?

Thanks,

Matt Ferrell (RDP)

I have not heard of any horror stories except ones like SuPrBuGmAn had about the jetties. Both ScubaTech and Emerald Coast are great. Never had any problems with them.
RDP:
...SeaYoda & SuPrBuGmAn--
I don't know it there are any incentives, but I can mention you guys as a reference, if you would like. Who knows, you might get something out of it?
If you go to ScubaTech, be sure to meet Carla - she's a hoot! Tell her Bill (the guy that gave her the pictures of Sean's class) sent you. She'll probably try to charge you double, but don't let her get away with that :D .

SeaYoda:
If you go to ScubaTech, be sure to meet Carla - she's a hoot! Tell her Bill (the guy that gave her the pictures of Sean's class) sent you. She'll probably try to charge you double, but don't let her get away with that :D .

I'll be sure to look her up. Thanks for the information!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom