Destin Dives, 28-29 May 05

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stone

Contributor
Reaction score
We live in Valparaiso, FL and dive out of Destin,
Date: 28 May 05

Wx: Clear, winds West to WSW, 70F in the morning, high 80s F
Seas: Big swell out of the SW. Started white-capping in the afternoon
Temp: 79F on the top. Still 68F on the bottom

We were on the bayou by 0630. Bay was fairly calm

Dive one: Hit an old wreck that was pretty beat up by Ivan. It sits in a hole, so what little structure is left is about level with the seafloor. The bottom finder shows no relief, but I was able to see a change in the density of the bottom. I shot two nice black snappers (24 inches) and a trigger. Candy shot a red snapper and a trigger. Vis was about 20 ft.

Dive two: Same wreck. . . more triggers.

Dive three: Another wreck. Vis was at least 40 ft horizontal, and I could see the bottom at 50 ft vertical. Nice dive but no fish.

We were going to retrieve Candy’s spear, but there was a boat on the tank.

Date: 29 May 05

Wx: Overcast early, then clear. Winds West to WSW, 70F in the morning, high 80s F
Seas: Swell still out of the SW, but smaller and less wind
Temp: 79F on the top. Still 69F on the bottom

We were on the bayou by 0630. Bay was nearly flat. Marine forecast called for 2-3 ft seas, but this time they were off by 6 hours in our favor. The seas actually calmed between 0630 and 1230. Current on all sites was non-existent. The end of the granny line that attaches to the anchor line was dropping down about 50 ft, so after stepping off the dive platform, each descent was almost straight down to the site. After burning many $$ on offshore excursions, we decided to stay close.

Dive one: Went to the tank that swallowed Candy’s spear during the ECRA tournament. I took a boat hook down with me and managed to retrieve the spear after 10 minutes of effort. Vis was only 10 ft and Candy got a single trigger.

Dive two: Went to another tank. Same bad vis and a couple more triggers.

Dive three: Hard bottom. Vis was better, maybe 20 ft. Candy took the line-reel. I found a nice, large shell as soon as we hit bottom. All the fish were short. One lobster. The anchor was in the sand, but there were rocks in every direction. I’ve said it before: The lift bag goes on every dive. In a low current situation, I can hook the bag to the anchor shank and add enough air to float the anchor. The weight of the chain keeps the anchor from heading to the surface. Once on board, a few pulls on the anchor line and the lift bag pulls the anchor straight up out of the surrounding rocks.

I got Candy’s spear back, but broke a tip (a better than even trade). We were finished diving by 1230. Took a hot shower courtesy of the “Sun Shower” laid out on the hard-top, got into dry clothes, and made a leisurely (gas friendly) run back to port. Wind and seas were building the whole time, so we finally got lucky with our timing.

Nice report - since I couldn't go out this past weekend I appreciate "seeing" your trip.
Rick

Great report, looks like you guys will be eating well for a while :D

I love those triggerfish! Glad you got some good dives in.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom