Desiccant packs for aluminum housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kamaros

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

I'm a newcomer to underwater photography, and have been diving with a Panasonic LX10 inside of an aluminum Nauticam housing in the local waters of Monterey without any issues with fogging. However, I have a trip to Puerto Galera in the Philippines planned for July, and was wondering if it was necessary to bring desiccant packs to prevent fog, given the much greater humidity.

If so, does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks,
Eric

Hi, @Kamaros.

I travel to SE Asia 2X a year for about a month each and dive with a RX100 (Sony) in a Nauticam housing. I change my batteries in my camera about every 2-3 dives. I usually do at least 50-60 dives at a time so there is a lot of battery changing. I always change the batteries on deck or in an area without air conditioning and I don't ever get fogging issues and have never used a dessicant. It is humid, lemme tell ya! I actually prefer not doing it in an AC environment and then having to bring it outside where at least the outside will fog immediately. I do keep the housing out of the sun and if it cannot be avoided, I put a towel over it. Alternatively, I keep it in a rinse tank. If it is crowded, I use my own AO cooler.

I have had almost 200 dives with this camera this way in Indonesia and Philippines and have not had any issues. I think you will be fine.

Re-chargeable Hydrosorbent Dehumidifiers — Hydrosorbent Desiccant Dehumidifiers

I use the mini version. They are really compact and reusable. You throw it in the oven for 3 hours and it’s good to go again. While I don’t use them for diving I have a lot of pelican cases that I keep metal items inside and the foam can hold moisture so I keep the mini packs inside my cases. Work great and can highly recommend them.

Same as outofofficebrb. While I usually set up in the hotel/condo b/c I do like the dehumidified air, I've also done battery changes on the boat with no problems. I've not had fogging problems with either of my Nauticam housings (RX100 and A6500). Never had a need for a dessicant pack.

Never needed dessicant for my EM-1 II in Nauticam housing, diving in water between 14 and 31°C . Keep in mind the way fog forms is that the housing/port need to be cooled below dew point temperature. This is temperature when air is 100% saturated with water, so of course more likely if the air is already quite humid. You should keep your housing out of the sun, but failure to do so will not cause fogging, increasing the temperature allows the air to hold more water. Closing up in A/C is always a good option if available, the A/C lower the humidity of the air, but not essential with Al- housings. If you have a vacuum system lowering the pressure will also lower the dew point temperature making fogging slightly less likely.

Regarding rinse tanks, try not leave your housing unattended - people can and do pile other cameras in on top of yours - floods are most likely in the rinse tank. Having a vacuum system helps protect you as it pre loads the o-rings and makes it much harder to move the back or the port by jarring as the external pressure resists this movement. Dunk it in, swish it around and get it out to your safe spot, till the next dive.

Back
Top Bottom