descent digital camera for a newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gajeep94yj

Contributor
Reaction score
I have been diving for over 7 yrs now and never really got into photographing what I was seeing underwater. I have a fuji s7000 that I have been using for a while. while I do enjoy all the features and the photo quality I don't like the size. plus I can't take it diving with me so I am in the market for a new camera for diving.

I am looking for a descent digital camera that I can get an underwater case for. I would like it to have at a very minimum 4.0 megapixel. I would like it so that when I don't use the case I can use it top side. I would also like the case so I can put an external strobe on it so I can get some better pics.

it would also be really nice if the camera was one of those dust and moisture proof cameras as well. I saw another diver who had one of those and he mentioned how great it was b/c he could just throw it in his pocket when he was outdoors and didn't have to worry about the dust or the sand affecting it. I spend alot of time outdoors and in the woods so that would be a big plus for me as well.

I know I am likely to get tons of opinions but that is fine, I would just like to know what other prefer or atleast get a starting point so I know where to start looking.

thanks alot for the adivce. I am heading to Cozumel over labor day so that is when I need to get it by.

Seth

i use a Canon A95 (5mp) with a Canon WPDC 50 housing. very simple setup. the A series allows you full manual controls and customizable white balance settings. thinking of getting strobes and arms within the year though.

Try searching this forum. This question has been asked a bunch of times. For example canons a-series cameras are decent.

BTW did you spell decent like that on purpose? Looks funny since you seem to at least live in the states. No offence or anything but spelling your mothers tong shouldn't be that hard :) but it adds a funny touch to your thread :)

I believe Olympus sells a "water resistant" camera that fits your description, but I don't know if anyone makes a case for it.

The best resources for doing your research and then asking about specific cameras:

DPReview

Wet Pixel

DigiDeep

Google them and then use their reviews/search to find some cameras that would fit your wants.

You need to decide what kind of pictures you want to take before you, or anyone else, can give you relevant advice. How much zoom? Do you want to be a photographer (i.e., work on controlling the image) or do you just want to take pictures (i.e., let the camera's computer decide exposure/focus issues)? What is your budget? Simple things like that.

Good luck.

Oly does have a new camera that they advertise as shockproof and immersible to 10 feet. They make a housing for it. Stylus 720sw and PT-033 Housing. It has nice features. I don't know about the weird shape lens port way at the top, but Canon seems to be doing OK with their odd ports.

I use a Oly Stylus 500 w/ the Oly pt-026 housing and am very happy with in. I especially like the 2.5 in lcd. I just purchased a sea life digital strobe for it but have yet to dive with it. The camera is a 5mp and the camera and housing cost about $450 online.

kapula:
BTW did you spell decent like that on purpose? Looks funny since you seem to at least live in the states. No offence or anything but spelling your mothers tong shouldn't be that hard :) but it adds a funny touch to your thread :)

umm yea it was on purpose :) spelling isn't my strong suite, I am used to having spell checker :lol:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom