Derawan/Sangalaki in Nov/Dec?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver69

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

After my misadventure with Sangalaki Dive Lodge last year (see link below), I am planning another trip to Sangalaki, but this time staying with either Derawan or Nabucco (leaning towards Derawan because it appears to be cheaper and they have a nice house reef).

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=123192&highlight=derawan

I am hoping someone can provide a clear answer on the weather conditions during these months and whether or not the mantas are there during these months. I am guessing that the mantas are there year-round.

Appreciate any comments/suggestions.

Thanks.

Diver69

Hi diver69,

Read about your unfortunate incident some time back. Hope you have better luck this time!

I have been to all 3 resorts during the mentioned period.

The mantas are still there.

Nabucco is more luxurious.

Derawan is more basic.

Both have better facilities and management than Sangalaki.

Derawan has a great house reef and easily accessible, but the currents can get quite strong during the full moon when going low tide.

Nabucco practically has no house reef. But the tiny reef is still worth snorkelling and snapping a few shots. Again the currents in that bay can get quite strong.

Hi davidlkh,

Do you know how the system work at Derawan? I think they go by a coupon system whereby they determine how many coupons you get depending on the number of nights you stay. Is it easy to get extra trips to Sangalaki Island or the other islands? Their website says $160 for 6 divers for extra Sangalaki trip - not too bad if you can get 5 other people to go with you, or $200 for 6 to Maratua - again, only $34 per person if you can find 5 other people to go...
Their website is also a little outdated - says the price validity is Dec 31, 2004...
I've e-mailed the agent in Indonesia, Narwastu Dive Center, but no reply yet...it's been a week.
Is there any cheaper flight between Balikpapan and Berau? $190 one-way seems a little steep.

Appreciate any help.

Diver69

They still use the coupon system and it is the cheapest way to dive with them.

I agree the short flight between Balikapapan and Berau is quite expensive. You can try and see if it is cheaper with a local travel agent. I have not tried that myself.

I normally pass everything to Pak Seno. He gets me good deals on the lodging at all 3 resorts out there. But the flight seems costly.

The good thing about using him is that, if you are running late, he maybe able to make a few calls and the flight will wait for you!!!! Sometimes the weather is bad and your boat transfer gets delayed.

Once I totally missed my flight because of super bad weather. I caught a flight to samarinda, and when I landed Pak Seno was there personally waiting for me. We ZOOOOOOMED off to Balikpapan to catch my connecting flight.

So I guess the extra I pay goes towards this service. Hence I never haggled with him for the flight fees anymore.

Hi all,

so have any of you dived from Maratua Paradise? Their prices are good but I heard the dive set up isn't the best??

Hi guys, I am intending to go to derawan during april. Heard that the rainy season last til as late as may. Has anyone been there during this period? I really need help here asap, as i cannot change my leave. thus i might have to change destination. ANy inputs are so greatly appreciated.

I went diving in Derawan on early April of 2007, the weather was fine and it rained only once during my 7 days of stay. However the sea was quite rough in Maratua and DM told us that the condition should be better on May.

All when diving in around Derawan it is OK to get poor visibility. It is about the hunt for macro life, infact some of the sites beyond Derawan (not Sangalaki, not Maratua) are also great muck diving sites. You are looking for the small, tiny and super tiny stuff. For example, nudibranch laying eggs with emperor shrimp. sea squirts with eggs and gobies. pregnant paper pygmy sea horse....

So being so small, you are really looking very close very close. The muck is the nutrients that feed the eco system for all these weird stuff.

If you want clear water, wall drift dives, then stay at Maratua.

Take note when you stay at one place, they will take you all over the near by reefs. But when traveling a distance away, they will take you to the main sites only.

Maratua, Sangalaki and Derawan all have a lot of dive sites around itself and slightly further away. Each having its own speciality.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom