Depth pressure on mask simulation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hazmat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I got a new mask that works great at home. Is there any way to simulate the pressure at, say, 90' that would be on the mask? As in how much to breath in through the nose when making it stick to your face? I just want to see how much, if at all, the frame will press against my forehead.

Thanks.

-Ken

The above is correct, your mask won't crush your face. You are supposed to equalize it. If you want to know what it would feel like if you didn't equalize, lay down on the ground and have someone put 800 lbs of weight on your face (an extremely rough estimate of an 20 square inch mask * 2.7 ATM * 14.7 Psi)

There is a slight increase in pressure on your mask over what it will be when you try it on. I have a pronounced eyebrow ridge, and some very small volume masks that feel comfortable in the store will touch that ridge under water. It barely matters how deep, though. If it is problem at 10 feet, it will be no worse at 100 feet. You add air to the mask as you descend to keep things equalized.

Thanks, all. I've been diving for five years, but with the same mask. I just wanted to make sure that the frame wouldn't really push on my lower forehead, like if I push it against my face. It's a very low volume mask, Aqualung Micromask. My Mares X-Vision Mid isn't as low volume.

Thanks, all. I've been diving for five years, but with the same mask. I just wanted to make sure that the frame wouldn't really push on my lower forehead, like if I push it against my face. It's a very low volume mask, Aqualung Micromask. My Mares X-Vision Mid isn't as low volume.

If you can test it at 10-15 feet, that should be all you need.

If you can test it at 10-15 feet, that should be all you need.

Perfect, thanks. I can. I thought pressure at 90' would press it onto your face more than at 10'-15', but I don't personally remember that. It's just the slight anxiety about getting a new mask that you can't return once you've used it.

Perfect, thanks. I can. I thought pressure at 90' would press it onto your face more than at 10'-15', but I don't personally remember that. It's just the slight anxiety about getting a new mask that you can't return once you've used it.

It will press in more if you don't equalize the mask. All you have to do is exhale slightly into it to relieve the pressure. I don't even realize I am doing it.

It will press in more if you don't equalize the mask. All you have to do is exhale slightly into it to relieve the pressure. I don't even realize I am doing it.

Exactly. I do this instinctively.

Thanks again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom