Depth of Pool for Training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That shallow is hard. Valve drills in particular will kick your butt if you are not neutral and have your buoyancy under good control.

The only thing you can't do is ascent stuff - where you stop dead and hold depth. I found I need deeper than a normal pool to do anything really useful, which I haven't found.

@certainmisuse If you're in ATL, you can contact Dive Georgia in Woodstock and Georgia Scuba in Cartersville; they do training/experience sessions in full-on aquatics centers. Also, Divers Supply and The Dive Shop (both in Marietta) have onsite pools with deep ends.

I've practiced in the 4-5ft area of the pool. Although, I agree that maintaining buoyancy that shallow is harder, you basically have to be really close to the bottom otherwise your fins will be too close to the surface, if not breaking it. I found that having the bottom that close becomes a crutch as you have a fixed reference very close to you.

If you find something in the 8-10ft range or deeper, try doing skills 3-4ft of the bottom. That's still not a lot to really simulate midwater but I found was very helpful towards that goal. All the Fundies skills I did in the pool were at 5ft in the 10ft section of the pool.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom