Depth of Field

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cfelliot:
I was looking around the web for some DOF information and came upon a great description on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depth_of_field

In the Wikipedia footnotes there is another awesome work on the subject:

http://www.trenholm.org/hmmerk/download.html
Quite informative links there elliot :).

What is shocking about the pic on the wiki link is that it looks almost exactly like a photo that i've taken!

177061545_d0a23883c3_o.jpg

The formula and all the additional information are also quite interesting.

Btw, i've heard of research in some sort of lens or camera technology in which the user can alter the depth of field afterwards in software!!
Liquid something or another.

As a slight aside i've found the Canon Japan website's special section on 'Enjoy Dslr' quite enlightening.

Jam,

I'll have to look into that!

I did read today that there is software that allows you to combine shots taken with different DOFs into a single shot! I gotta see what I can find out on that one.

Chuck

PS Canon DSLR - cool site!

You can reduce the apparent dof fairly easily in PS or PS Elements if the photo has a nice position vs. distance relationship like the photo above.

Dupe the background layer, then apply a gaussian filter to it.

Then make a blank layer, and use the gradient tool to fill the layer. Use color to transparent. Reverse mode. start where you want it in focus and end the gradient where you want to be 100% to the blurred layer.

Group the blurred layer to the layer with the gradient fill.

less-dof.jpg

Easy to learn, easy to apply....

DOF on the lens below is between roughly 3.5 feet and 6 feet ?

Apertume is set at f11 ( dot above 11 on set ring 22,16,11,8 ... )

Just above that ring,you have a DOF window. There are two #11 ( this is apertume setting ).
Go just above those numbers, and you have DOF range in feet and meters ... Above right side f11, you can read 1 meter or 3.5 feet. Above the left side f11, you can read 2 meters or 6 feet.

So your DOF at that setting is between 3.5 and 6 feet ... everything else will be out of focus ....

240px-

Note that the smaller your apertume is set at, the larger the DOF will be .

....YES. apertume is open wider at f6 than at f22

*** On a long lens ( 300mm ) the DOF is shorter than on a shorter lens ( 35 mm ).
Your can get a DOF of 1/4 inch with a long lens .... depending on setting !!!

:rofl3: Wasn't that easy ??:popcorn: :popcorn:

shark_tamer:
:wink: .... too bad I can't take my laptop diving with me !!!!
You just need the right computer (LINK) :D

randini:
You just need the right computer (LINK) :D

:D I'll bet the casing is more expensive then the laptop itself !!!:shakehead

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom