Depth gauge for snorkeling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Formaxim

Registered
Reaction score
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hello to you all, people!

Here's my question. While snorkeling, I'm diving down to 10+ meters, and now I want to know exactly how deep I'm diving. That's why I want to buy a depth gauge, can anyone suggest the best one for me? The only requirement I have is that it will be as accurate as possible within 10-15 meters, coz I don't think I'll make it much deeper than that :) .
Thank you all in advance for your suggestions!

(You can write to me to: formaxim@gmail.com)
[/FONT]

Hello Scared Silly and thank you for welcoming me! I'll try to find that Suunto 3D, however at firts try it didn't look like an easy task. On e-bay I could find some similar models (by searching after the following suggestion: Suunto d3 free dive wristop), namely SUUNTO D4i Dive Computer, so my question to you is: how good and accurate is this one? How old is that Suunto 3D since I can't find it easily? Can you recommend some other models too? The most important for me is the acsuracy at shallow depths (like between 2 and 15 meters).

Capillary depth gauges are accurate and can still be found on Ebay.

SCUBAPROblackFACEDcapillaryFULL.jpg

… The most important for me is the acsuracy at shallow depths (like between 2 and 15 meters).

Freediving computers also need a much faster sample rates than Scuba computers. The least expensive way to go is an analog depth gauge and accuracy isn’t bad. Don’t confuse accuracy with digital readouts that make you think they are super accurate. What is acceptable precision?

Hello Scared Silly and thank you for welcoming me! I'll try to find that Suunto 3D, however at first try it didn't look like an easy task. On e-bay I could find some similar models (by searching after the following suggestion: Suunto d3 free dive wristop), namely SUUNTO D4i Dive Computer, so my question to you is: how good and accurate is this one? How old is that Suunto 3D since I can't find it easily? Can you recommend some other models too? The most important for me is the acsuracy at shallow depths (like between 2 and 15 meters).

The Suunto D3 is no longer produced but is a simple wrist computer that is for free diving. Suunto quit making the D3 about 3 years ago. The D4 is for diving and does not have a "gauge" mode which is what you want. The D4i would be too much for just snorkeling as it has electronics/algorithms for diving and well as for reading a scuba cylinder pressure.

That said the D3 and D4 have a maximum sample rate of 1s. Which should be fast enough.

Another option would be the UWATEC bottom timer/depth gauge:

http://www.shop.underwatersportsseattle.com/Digital-Depth-Gauge-05014120.htm

… That said the D3 and D4 have a maximum sample rate of 1s. Which should be fast enough.

Another option would be the UWATEC bottom timer/depth gauge:

Uwatec Digital Depth / Bottom Timer

A lot of scuba computers (and depth gauges/bottom timers) have sample rates in the 10x/minute range to save battery life. Dedicated freediving computers are usually 1-6x/second. An analog Bourdon tube depth gauge has virtually zero delay and no batteries. Typical freedive descent rate is around 200'/minute.

Less than $100, max depth indicator, and expanded shallow scale:
http://www.leisurepro.com/p-ocnmdmm/oceanic-swiv-max-depth-module-metric

Wrist boots are sold separately. It is probably more accurate in the 0-10 meter range than most Scuba computers as well.

Trident DA33 - Capillary Depth Gauge.

Should run you about $30.

Trident DA33 - Capillary Depth Gauge.

Should run you about $30.

regrattably, discontinued a number of years ago (2-3). Was looking for one, and found that bad news..... is it back for 2013?

Back
Top Bottom