Depth Charts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cam-shaft

Registered
Reaction score
New Westminster, British Columbia, Canada
# of dives
0 - 24
I am just about to dive into scuba...ha!

I was curious on depth charts to local sites. I have googled and searched the forum, but nothing comes up.

Does anyone know how to get depth charts for dive sites?

I am in Vancouver, btw.

Thanks!

Around here that is not a question that has an answer. Depths on a single dive site can range from very shallow to well beyond rec limits. Some of the published books that show dive sites have depth charts included so you might want to have a look at them but if you really want to know the depths of a particular site you will want to get the chart for that location. Charts are available at any marine store - the dive books are available at your local dive shop.

As far as I know, the Canadian Hydrographic Service doesn't provide it's charts online (the American NOAA does). You have to pay for paper versions. You might be able to find some kind of free online GPS-style software with local marine charts, but I've had no luck. I photocopy mine from the downtown branch of the Victoria Public library.

I am in the US and use an app for my iPad for navigation and dive planning. It cost around $7.99 and the charts were free. The app is eSeaChart. I think you can import more digital charts.

There may be another app if this one does not cover the charts in your area.
I no longer need to carry charts.
Hope this helps

I am going to assume by "depth chart" you are refering to Bathymetric Charts.

Those are available. what is free, and easily obtainable however is Nautical charts and they all have depths offshore on them.
You might want to peruse the Canadian Hydrographic Office for free enc charts

After you finish there... stop by NOAA's office of coast survey and pick up their free enc reader.. enc = electronic navigation charts.
Office of Coast Survey

I keep my program and charts on a 32G thumbdrive and use it with my netbook or the laptop onboard when I am offshore.

Charts for the Carribean I highly reccomend "Imray/Iolaire" brand name.. The British admiralty and french hydrographic charts...well... you don't really want to know the last time they were updated. Don Street's Imray/Iolaire are the most up to date for the area. In the Abacos, Steve Pavalidis did a good current chart in his book on the Abacos using a handheld depth finder..
handheld depthfinder

If its your own boat, don't go looking for depth finders... get a cheap fishfinder.. hummingbird makes a good product. It will give you depths and bottom features in real time.

Canadian Hydrographics Office
Canadian Charts

Just a small thought... If you are using an ENC chart, the working theory is it is up to date... remember that some of the charts have not been upgraded in over 100 yrs or as in the case of the new chart kit of West Florida I purchased monday... the 1940's. It is identical to the chart of TampaBay that was my dad's from the 1960's and still shows a 25 foot deep channel between beer can shoal and Anna Maria Island...not in this lifetime its about 6-8 feet deep depending on any number of factors and last weekend we could walk across from the, now, island to the mainland at low tide.. in about 4 feet of water.. In my case, I am a shallow diver.. so approx depths are good for me..

If you have some place you will be diving on a regular basis, ask the locals.. local knowledge is free or at best a beer or two... and is always invaluable.
as always, YMMV If I can be of further help, pm me..
'bella
aboard
S/V Mama Cocha

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom