Depp

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Finesse

Reaction score
Well with all the new photo equipment coming and the Big Trip almost upon us ......wanted to protect the investment we've made. Went to DEPP and thought.... WOW for $30 thats not bad..........Then I read the fine print and its now closer to $100…..I really don’t like fine print :(

Do you guys use this plan ..... I thought DAN covered some of the gear (I'll really have to recheck that)

But by the time you're done adding the "at least one complete set of gear" the camera gear costs , camera, 4% charge for flood insurance ...........

Of course you only need to flood once or get something stolen....but........Well it caught me off guard!!!!! :eek:

...and I won't get NEAR water without it! I've made several claims, each one would have more than paid for that years coverage. They repair or replace the insured piece and if you want to take the opportunity to upgrade at that time, you just pay the difference.

1) Flooded strobe and sync cord, totally my fault, it was replaced with new strobe and cord, no questions asked.

2) Dropped macro lens while changing it underwater. All I needed was was a note from the DM that I did indeed lose it. I knew this was needed beforehand and got it before I left Coz. It was replaced pronto.

3) Slipped and fell on wet sidewalk while holding camera. 2 YEARS later, after thinking the lab was printing my pictures off center all that time, it was discovered that the gear mechanizm was messed up from the fall. The complete inside of the camera was replaced.

I don't mind covering a complete set of gear...why would I? Things happen to your gear too, ya know!

Bottom line, I'd gladly pay more than I do for DEPP coverage. They are great people to work with, a phone call is all it takes to get the ball rolling immediately. Depending on your problem, they tell you which authorized repair center to send it to. After it's returned, you'll get a bill for the deductable. The most I've ever paid was $35.

Oh, and if you're ever in Coz and have a S&S camera problem, Island Photo is an authorized S&S repair shop and Armando and Holly will take care of everything for you.

You're right...
Of course you only need to flood once or get something stolen....

I'm with Dee. We've had DEPP for a couple of years now & wouldn't think of going without it!

1) Homeowner's policy will not really cover your gear unless it is scheduled out (for which you will pay an additional premium, btw). It will also NOT cover you outside the US or if camera gear gets flooded.

2) VERY reasonable premiums. The deductable is also quite tolerable.

3) Regular insurance has no clue about scuba diving or the gear. DEPP knows all about it.

4) Great customer service. Unfortunately I lost a 15mm lens a couple of years back during a dive in Crystal River. I had a new one in less that 2 weeks.

~SubMariner~

I never really thought about getting insurance for my cam but it really does make sense I used to be afraid of what might happen if it floods or something like that happens and ruins the camera. DEPP has been brought up a couple of times on this board in the past and I did a search through some of the history too and found this post. I don't really dive all that much and keep talking about going out more locally but it just hasn't happened. It seems I only go diving when I go on trips. I have most of my own gear that I got second hand from a co-worker who has quit diving and I've had it all tested/repaired so it all works fine but to be honest I havn't even used it yet. I usually get mostly rental gear when I go on trips. After reading on DEPP's website that you have to insure a full set of gear before you can insure your camera stuff it doesn't really make sense for me cuz I don't even use my gear but maybe I will some day hopefully. Is there any other places that will insure just the camera/housing stuff without having to insure your other gear?

I've had a contract with DEPP for about three years now.

I made a loss declaration for a lamp in April last year, value 250$.

Despite big promises, I'm still waiting.

Not to mention I never received advice that my money was due for May 2002/April 2003, not by normal mail, not electronically.

It was only when I started bombarding them weekly in order to know when my money would come in that I discovered I had been without an insurance for nine months.

The problem is I have no alternative, in Europe or elsewhere.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom