Dental work and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Katerina754

Reaction score
My Question: I had a root canal Monday and go tomorrow to have it permanently filled. I have a trip to NY to do some wreck diving (diving friday) no deeper than 60 foot dives are planned. How safe is it to dive after dental work? There is no infection present, taking clindamycin 150 TID as a precaution.

Hi Kat,

In general, those undergoing endodontic procedures may return to diving when:

1. All permanent filling has been completed, with care taken to prevent any air spaces, and,
2. There are no signs or symptoms of infection, and,
3. The diver feels up to it, and,
4. Most importantly, when the endodontist clears them for diving.

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Best of luck.

DocVikingo

Katarina, been trying to reach you for several days. I am a dentist in Miami, a DAN consultant and a dental consultant for scubadoc. The following is for information only. No attempt at diagnosis or treatment is provided. You should consult your own dentist.

There are several key factors with diving with a root canal. First, ALL the canals must be filled completely. Next, the access opening must be filled with a reasonably hard cement, a core or a post and core to obliterate any air spaces. If there is a cotton ball in the tooth do not dive. If the tooth is fractured, or other undetected dental pathology is present there is the possibility of a problem.

That being said, you have a better chance winning the lottery than experiencing a barodontalgia. This condition usually occurs within the first 30 feet and can be worse on ascent. Air somehow becomes trapped within the tooth--either in an unfilled or poorly filled root canal, a dead nerve which has caused no prior symptoms or a fracture. As it expands you experience pain.

This condition is DIFFERENT than tooth pain you might experience on a air flight. Usually, this affect the upper teeth and disappears before you get to the dentist. This is the most common form of barodontalgia but it is actually a sinus squeeze.

If your root canal has been done correctly, then enjoy your dive. Keep in mind that some root canal teeth are tender to pressure for several days following the procedure and your regulator bite tabs will put pressure on the tooth.

Enjoy the cold water,

Laurence Stein DDS

Well, I returned from Niagara on Sunday and the diving was terrific. Got to dive a 70 foot shipwreck (the Benson) my deepest dive, and the Raliegh, a 40 foot shipwreck....and best of all: No tooth pain!!! Had the canal closed up on weds and by friday was feeling pretty good! Lake temp was a nice 70 degrees as was the drift diving on the river. The thermocline on the Benson was about 50 and the only dive I had to fully suit up for! YaY! Thank you both so much for your replies as it eased my mind a bit! Lemme know if you ever wanna dive Niagara and the Lake...Im always looking for a dive buddy!

Kat,

Between you and I our diving is the cat's meow. I live in Miami and diver every weekend--summer and winter--weather permitting. Didn't need a wetsuit or skin last year--I hate them.

Mini Season for lobster was a success--we got over 150! We actually were throwing the smaller ones back to exchange for the bigger ones.

Last week we maxed out on on lobster and two weeks before we dove a wreck (Doc DeMilly) in 148 feet. There were at least 50 Jewfish (Goliath Grouper) around the deck. The largest had to go 1000 pounds! It was some sight.

You may be aware that Fla has had a number of shark attacks this year. I dive with one of the victims. He lost about 50% of his calf muscle. He's required 2 transfusions. His wife had to rescue him but he was able to climb the ladder on his own. He has a long recovery ahead. There may be some permanent damage.

This year I have seen more "bad" sharks than ever. 1 lemon shark, 2 carribean reef sharks and a bull shark. It's getting spooky out here.

If you want to dive Miami, let me know, I have 5 friends that have boats and we can get to most any site in 1/2 and hour. New divers are free.

Laurence Stein

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom