Dental issues from diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive-aholic

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Has anyone experienced cracks in their tooth enamel after a period of diving? Just wondering if repeated exposure to pressure can weaken teeth and cause them to start cracking.

Hi Dive-aholic,

SCUBA diving should not cause any damage to healthy teeth.

If a diver has pre-existing dental issues, such as a cracked tooth or dental procedures that have left air pockets, the changes in ambient pressure inherent in diving could result in further damage, and pain.

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Rob, a few years ago I finished some diving at JB. When I pulled up to Edd's to settle my tab I felt something. One of my rear teeth had an old filling (childhood). The face of the tooth had blown off, presumably from an expanding bubble during ascent. My dentist is a diver and has several commercial guys as patients. He told me this was most likely from my diving and ascent and that it is not that uncommon in commercial divers, or very active scuba divers with older dental work or unknown (or known) damage. Mine was un upper rear molar and fortunately was mostly pain free as no air was getting to it.

Are these chips/cracks or crazes? The latter can be correlated to age and are usually vertical, painless, and more of a cosmetic concern. These are usually attributed to different expansion/contraction rates between the enamel and underlying dentin. A common blame is mixing cold/hot foods over time; I don't know if cyclic exposure to cold scuba gas would have the same effect. Food acids (e.g. orange juice, sodas) and whiteners can weaken tooth enamel as can disorders of mineral metabolism; esp. calcium and phosphorus. Of course, examination by a dentist is recommended.

Thanks for the responses!

cutlass, they are cracks, not craze lines. After talking to my wife more about this (it's her teeth), I found out it's not the enamel, it's the actual tooth. She has already been examined by a dentist and been treated. The cracks were found in the xrays, not visibly. The dentist has told her she's too young to have this happen and did ask her if she grinds her teeth, but she doesn't. He is also a diver and asked if she bites down on her mouthpiece hard, which she does tend to as her mouthpieces get replaced more often than mine. But I wouldn't think that would cause her teeth to crack. So we were wondering if the pressure could affect it.

He is also a diver and asked if she bites down on her mouthpiece hard, which she does tend to as her mouthpieces get replaced more often than mine. But I wouldn't think that would cause her teeth to crack.

Agree it seems unlikely, but she could experiment with a Seacure - Custom Mouthpiece or other special mouthpiece (e.g., Aqualung Comfo-Bite Mouthpiece) on the off chance.

Regards,

DocVikingo

The Manta-Bite mouthpiece is a third option, with a claimed safety benefit. Invented by a dentist, their website states:
The specially designed "Manta Wings" lock into your cheeks making teeth clenching a thing from the past. In fact, the more a diver relaxes his jaws, the tighter the Manta-Bite locks in.
and...
Safety is most important
According to DAN's 2000 report on diving injuries and fatalities, drowning is the primary cause of death in up to 70% of reported diving fatalities.

Once a diver loses consciousness his jaws relax and the regulator falls from his mouth. If still breathing, the diver will drown. While other factors are involved in losing consciousness, if drowning occurs, the fact is, the diver was still breathing. The ability of the Manta Bite mouthpiece to retain the regulator in an unconscious diver's mouth allows the remaining air supply to support the diver.
I have no experience with this product and I can't vouch for their claims of safety, but their website has testimonials.

Agree it seems unlikely, but she could experiment with a Seacure - Custom Mouthpiece or other special mouthpiece (e.g., Aqualung Comfo-Bite Mouthpiece) on the off chance.

Regards,

DocVikingo

Thanks. We use the Comfo-Bites, have been for several years. Yes, even with her going through one of those every 5-6 months. We used to use the Seacures until we started cave diving and teaching. Donating a personalized mouthpiece isn't the best option. Although it was easier for me to take her mouthpiece than for her to take mine because hers was cut shorter.

We may have to check into the Manta mouthpieces. However, she doesn't bite down on them to keep them in her mouth. It's just something she does subconsciously.

Look the reality is that you NEED to keep these ascents slow....It has been my extensive experience that most people cannot control their ascents well enough. You must use a computer and watch the numbers slowly change on ascent. My teeth have always been bad (soft) from birth. I have no choice in this and fluoride (against all the best advice) has not help my teeth one bit. However, I have many fillings and many from my youth, but I have been able to keep all intact through many years of diving with many differing profiles...

Cheers,

GB

Look the reality is that you NEED to keep these ascents slow....It has been my extensive experience that most people cannot control their ascents well enough. You must use a computer and watch the numbers slowly change on ascent. My teeth have always been bad (soft) from birth. I have no choice in this and fluoride (against all the best advice) has not help my teeth one bit. However, I have many fillings and many from my youth, but I have been able to keep all intact through many years of diving with many differing profiles...

Cheers,

GB

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom