Density with altitudes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tomeck

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Computers Suunto have three different altitudes A0, A1 and A2.

A0 : From 0 to 1000 ft (0-300 meters)
A1 : From 1000 to 5000 ft (300-1500 meters)
A2 : From 5000 to 10000 ft (1500-3000 meters)

The density for A0 is 1.03 g/mL, because seawater has a salinity of 3%. If I change from A0 to A1 or A2, does the computer change automatically a density from 1.03 to 1.00 g/mL, because water is fresh?

That's an interesting question. I'll start by saying I don't know. But that won't stop me from responding. :14:

My Cobra manual Technical Specs say just that it's "Salt water calibrated, in fresh water the readings are about 3% smaller. Calibrated complying with prEN 13319)"

It also says it's temperature compensated. Given the overall attention to detail and precision of description implied by the specification, and the lack of anything about altitude adjustment setting in this section, I'd be very surprised if they assume fresh water for higher altitude settings. Also, there's no description of depth/density impact in the description of the Altitude settings, which say only that they cause the nitrogen-loading models to be modified.

As an engineer, and given that the manual seems to be written by someone who actually cares about precision in specs, I'd bet there is no such auto adjustment. Also, such a linking would IMO violate the user interface "Principle of least Astonishment", see The cranky user: The Principle of Least Astonishment

There would also be an expected effect on depth accuracy at altitude because the depth sensor assumes something about absolute pressure at zero depth, which is probably increasingly incorrect at higher altitudes, see Diving At Altitude I see no description in the Suunto manual for that being compensated for, either, but maybe that's covered by prEN 13319.

I tried to find the standard prEN 13319 online, but only found places to buy it. If you want a definitive answer, I think you need to get that, or ask Suunto. If you do, please post what you find out. Thanks for a thought-provoking question.

Thank you. I think also there is no auto adjustment. I often dive in fresh water at 1500 feet of altitude and if I dive to 200 feet, the difference is about 6 feet deeper than displayed on my computer.

I think they are assuming that salt water stays at sea level and that anything above that is freshwater. Inland salt lakes at altitude would be the exception. :D

Back
Top Bottom