Dennis takes toll on sea turtles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cdiver2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Dennis takes toll on turtles
Tuesday, July 12, 2005

It is illegal to disturb a sea turtle nest.

Even though the eye of Hurricane Dennis missed Tampa Bay, it had a big effect on an endangered species -- sea turtles.

Hurricane Dennis did more damage to sea turtle nests than all of last year's hurricanes combined.

Marine rescue Chief Jay Moyle said Dennis washed many nests -- each with the potential of producing 100 eggs -- away.

Scientists at Mote Marine Laboratory in Sarasota have documented 714 nests in the Manatee and Sarasota area. The Clearwater Marine Aquarium has counted 71, but now those numbers have dwindled.

Sea turtles are federally protected, but if Dennis is any indication of this hurricane season, the endangered animals could be in trouble.

Anyone who witnesses someone disturbing a turtle or who finds an injured or disoriented hatchling is asked to call the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission at 888-404-3922.

OK.. call this one what you will, but I've had a lot of beach time this year and I have not seen the turtle nests at the beaches that I am used to seeing in years past, in fact, I've hardly seen any at all.

Ditto. Even before Dennis, I hadn't seen a single nest.

CBulla:
OK.. call this one what you will, but I've had a lot of beach time this year and I have not seen the turtle nests at the beaches that I am used to seeing in years past, in fact, I've hardly seen any at all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom