DEMA - What the hell?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Houston had a show a couple years back and so few showed up they cancelled the return trip... that's why it was in Orlando 2 years straight, Houston was planned. New York and Boston have a chance at getting some people, Pittsburgh would probably do worse than Houston.

Vegas and Orlando are definitely the best bets. Vegas is the number one convention city in the Americas, and Orlando is like 6th. Considering it's a dive show I could see why Orlando might get the nod over New York.

Wasn't there one in the LA area (before my time in the trade) where so many showed up they cracked down on the entrance requirements for all future shows? I seem to recall that conversation on a message board about 9 years back, if so that would explain why it's trade only.

DEMA is such a huge trade show that I think it would be way too overcrowded if you let the general public attend. Like it's been mentioned, there are plenty of other shows around the country throughout the year that meet the need of the general consumer and LDS's. I was there for three days this year and still didn't see everything or talk with everyone I had hoped too. I believe it's best to keep it for industry people only.

First you have to separate the concept of a trade show with that of a consumer show. DEMA is a trade show. All professions have trade shows (including my mom who manages a school lunchroom) that are not open to the public. Dive operators who let their customers go to the trade show and those that sneak in are doing a disservice to the industry. One of the most valuable attributes of the trade show is to let persons who make their living in the industry meet with reps and set up orders for the coming year and to network with others in the same profession sharing ideas and putting faces to the voice on the phone.

Much to your chagrin - reps will not sell outstanding deals to a consumer at DEMA.

DEMA has been tried in the middle of winter when the majority of folks are living on proceeds from the previous season. It has also been tried in the fall where funds from the summer season are still available to invest in next year. It seems to work best in the fall. Houston was dumped because of major complaints. The convention center is so far from anything that you must take a cab to go to a restaurant. It was in Orlando two years in a row because it was scheduled for New Orleans two years ago but we had a slight problem with Katrina. Orlando was the only place that could have absorbed it in such a short time. While Boston, Chicago, Seattle, and Philly are great places to visit in the summer who the heck wants to go there in the late fall or winter?

It is best for the industry (any industry) if trade shows are left to folks who work in the industry and consumer shows are open to those who do not but use the goods at hand.

Being from the NW...Fall is the best time to visit Seattle. While it was pouring down rain in Orlando last week, Seattle was sunny and had temps in the low 60's. Seattle does not have the capacity to handle a show like DEMA very well. Hotel prices are extremely high close to the convention center, and does not have public transportation to accommodate people coming from other areas. Parking is also about $20-30 a day.

I would love to see DEMA mix it up a bit and do other locations.

Orlando was a great venue, however, I didn't enjoy being there 2 years in a row. I am looking forward to Vegas next year.

Wasn't there one in the LA area (before my time in the trade) where so many showed up they cracked down on the entrance requirements for all future shows? I seem to recall that conversation on a message board about 9 years back, if so that would explain why it's trade only.

Yes! My husband attended the LA show some years ago, and got in some cold water diving while he was out there.

DEMA is such a huge trade show that I think it would be way too overcrowded if you let the general public attend. .

I can relate this to a local IEEE show we had that was mostly engineering electronics.

The Show was split into two sections. Nice carpeted booths in one hall and "consumer booths" in another. (we have a huge engineering base in this city to draw from on the consumer sale...) But you could go to each hall regardless if you were there as a consumer or professional. The consumer hall had pretty much turned into computer shops sellings stuff.

The show was held on a Friday and a Saturday, so that professionals could go on the Friday while at work, yet still draw in folks in the consumer hall on Saturday. The show was free to get into and since they had a lot of engineering presentations, the local school system decided to take the entire high school class (freshmen through seniors) down to the show so they could get some "engineering exposure".

It ruined the show. You couldn't walk anywhere because of all the school kids. The booth vendors in the high end booths couldn't talk to the professional engineers because of all the kids in the way. They all saw it as a wasted expense for what they had to pay.

The next year they decided to fix the attendance problem on letting out bus loads, but a huge ice storm came in and attendance was a mere 10% of normal. So those two events pretty much killed that show.

This is an example of how too many of the wrong people can kill a show.

If I'd had to compete for attention with the public I'd have stayed at home.

That's shading the truth a bit, isn't it Kim?

I go to the Consumer Electronics Show. Our badges are color coded. BUYERS wear one color, MARKETING wears another color, and ENGINEERING has their own color. Buyers get maximum fawning attention, Engineers are pretty much ignored (other than to make sure we aren't opening up hardware for closer inspection :rofl3:).

And quite frankly, a lot of people get into CES who are not professionals directly involved in the industry.

Art

The exhibitors need quality time with their dealers, consumers would just get in the way.

Boy, is your business model skewed. Lose your consumer and your dealer is gone too.:confused:

But at least you're honest and post your opinion publically.

Art

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom