DEMA - What the hell?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Attending DEMA was good for us; we were able to demonstrate our eDiving service to several "movers and shakers" of the industry, we got interviewed by ScubaRadio, we made contacts and agreements for collaboration and we even had an hall of fame giving us a big vote of confidence.

All in all a very good show. And now I have a huge stack of business cards to sort out and follow up.

The only down side was the extremely high cost to get Internet access at the booth ...

Regards,

I_AM

The only down side was the extremely high cost to get Internet access at the booth
It was nothing but extortion, and we don't use their expensive solution but rather use Verizon's Wireless Broadband where we ran the entire booth at times on just one wireless modem! That was up to nine laptops.

Due to the EXTRAVAGANT pricing, we furnished our own tables, table skirts, chairs, internet and any thing else we could see them charging way too much for.

It was nothing but extortion, and we don't use their expensive solution but rather use Verizon's Wireless Broadband where we ran the entire booth at times on just one wireless modem! That was up to nine laptops.

Due to the EXTRAVAGANT pricing, we furnished our own tables, table skirts, chairs, internet and any thing else we could see them charging way too much for.

Next time you need to show me how to rig up the local network with the Verizon modem .... Lunch on me!

I_AM

The only down side was the extremely high cost to get Internet access at the booth ...

So how overpriced was the internet connection? just curious.

It's amazing how no matter what show it is, the ala-carte items to get in the booth are always overpriced. They charge huge surcharges for anything extra. phone conneciton at $40/day for example. Electrical connection, add more. Even more if you want something that's 220 volt. Extra tables and chairs cost more also.

That was pretty crappy to have to do that to you especially since you gave DEMA free advertising here to help bolster attendance.

However, you are very local to the show, so you providing the booth items wasn't as hard as if you had to travel in from out of town. If it's in a far away location, such as Vegas, then you'd be "held hostage" to the prices just like everyone else.

On a change of subject.... so how was Scubaboard perceived this year by the "big boys". They realize yet the importance of the 700 pound Gorilla?

Ahem... 800lbs... :)

I was thinking SB has broken the 4 figure number and is stitting at a even half ton! (1,000 lbs)

So how overpriced was the internet connection? just curious.
I believe they wanted $1200/computer. DSL was out of sight.
Extra tables and chairs cost more also.
Extra? They charged you $57 per chair and over a $100 for each table. NONE were provided unless you paid for them!
That was pretty crappy to have to do that to you especially since you gave DEMA free advertising here to help bolster attendance.
We are working a deal for free booth space for next year. They were pretty open to that.
However, you are very local to the show, so you providing the booth items wasn't as hard as if you had to travel in from out of town. If it's in a far away location, such as Vegas, then you'd be "held hostage" to the prices just like everyone else.
I flew in El Orans from the Netherlands as well as put 4 members (maybe more) up in hotels for the week.
On a change of subject.... so how was Scubaboard perceived this year by the "big boys". They realize yet the importance of the 700 pound Gorilla?
I was quite shocked to be on "first name" basis with many of the major players and quite a few manufacturers. I never want to be guilty of over stepping our welcome (and I think I did that with one participant/user) and there were some who obviously still don't trust that the internet is here to stay. A couple of LONG time acquaintances merely shake their head and openly wonder how I got to this point in the industry.

As for the user, I was asking everyone connected with ScubaBoard if I could "pin" them. On one person I think I pinned them too fast. I could tell that I had somehow crossed that line. Later on I saw them without the pin. Oh well. You can't make everyone happy! :D But I sure try.

we got interviewed by ScubaRadio

They were there?

We went by the stand several times and no-one was ever there. That was backed up by the people on the stands around them who claimed never to have seen anyone either. We assumed they were no-shows.

It's amazing how no matter what show it is, the ala-carte items to get in the booth are always overpriced. They charge huge surcharges for anything extra. phone conneciton at $40/day for example. Electrical connection, add more. Even more if you want something that's 220 volt. Extra tables and chairs cost more also.

Ha....Orlando is EASY!!! They let you carry stuff in, use your own 2 wheeled handtrucks, etc.

Wait until next year when we have to deal with the union guys in Vegas!!

$150 to have a "union electrician" plug in an extension cord?? :11: :shakehead: :(

DEMA is a great place to see people in the industry, as well as international customers, which is why we continue to attend - despite the crazy prices.

They were there?

We went by the stand several times and no-one was ever there. That was backed up by the people on the stands around them who claimed never to have seen anyone either. We assumed they were no-shows.
Yes, they were there. Just look at the DEMA 2007 Photo Gallery. I didn't see them at their booth though.

Back
Top Bottom