Dema show???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wrote two white papers to DEMA's board to no avail and have given up trying to work with them.
Seems to be a common theme. How sad.

DEMA is dead. Both as a association and as a show. It is out of touch, out of control and has become a lead anchor around he neck of a struggling industry.

The only question is if the rest of the dive industry as we know it follows suit. Keep on doing business they way we have and it is guaranteed to happen.

I do not think DEMA is dead. It is floundering. It may find its way, but I am doubtful.

It will be a slow, painful process, but the ending is uncertain.

I am no fan of how they run DEMA, but fair is fair. Let's be honest, the world is a changing place and the means of communication have changed dramatically. Trade-shows, regardless of industry are a dying breed.

Very true.!

I have made, and stand by, the statement that if I spent 5 minutes talking to an end consumer, he took a catalog, went to a dive store and bought my product, I'd lose money. The cost per man-hour at DEMA is in the hundreds of dollars per hour.

Sure, but some exhibitors are already losing money, just by attending the show anyway.

Some look at it as a form of PR, some put it to advertising budgets, some just write it off as a cost of doing business, but in the last 8-10 odd years, I cant imagine many manufacturers have written NEW orders at (or post) Dema which would even marginally cover their show costs anyway, so if an exhibitor is there for 4 days and their cost is already fixed, surely it makes sense to use a day or two to be at least productive and promoting your line to interested "end users", rather than just standing around "shooting the bull" with friends and associates, which from my 20 odd years of Dema visits, is all that happens on the last day anyway.

No point in me writing any more. Jim, you pretty much said it. Fizz

I do not think DEMA is dead. It is floundering. It may find its way, but I am doubtful.

It will be a slow, painful process, but the ending is uncertain.

Lee, the Herculean effort needed to save DEMA (which would involve fighting DEMA every step of the way) is MUCH better invested in bypassing them and working with people that want the industry to survive and flourish to the benefit of the industry versus continue on the same old path for the sake of parasitic self interest.

Look they stood up and advocated the yellow pages and newspapers as two of four "recommended" marketing venues DEMA members should employ while ignoring the web (except a brief mention of blogs) at the show last year. You would be hard pressed to find worse advice, that is comes from our industries "Marketing" association is truly frightening. In fact those two industries (newspaper and yellow pages) are "possibly" (maybe only because diving is in a horrific position) in worse shape than diving! Clueless.

Look they stood up and advocated the yellow pages and newspapers as two of four "recommended" marketing venues DEMA members should employ while ignoring the web (except a brief mention of blogs) at the show last year. You would be hard pressed to find worse advice, that is comes from our industries "Marketing" association is truly frightening. In fact those two industries (newspaper and yellow pages) are "possibly" (maybe only because diving is in a horrific position) in worse shape than diving! Clueless.

Yeah...that is pretty scary.

:shakehead:

To me, a user, the answer is simple. The first manufacturer that puts real information on their website wins. Try to find the travel weight or technical diagrams of equipment. This is a technical sport but the manufactures think it about bling.

I just exhibited at the Dallas "consumer dive show" this past weekend and it was a huge success. I did have some business I wanted to do with some of the exhibitors but because it was filled with divers I had very little time for that face to face I would have loved to have. Thank you Dallas areas scuba divers, you were all awesome to speak with and hang out with!!!

I knew this would happen because it was a consumer show but I do not think it would be productive to interrupt or shorten the opportunity for the industry business meeting time we all have at DEMA. There are at least a dozen consumer dive shows each year around the world where the consumers can see most of the same companies exhibiting without having to attend DEMA.

The manufacturers are there, they just need you guys as dive instructors and dive professionals to show up and do business to make DEMA a success. In a nutshell, support the companies that support the industry we all rely on for a living!

November works great because it does not conflict with other dive consumer shows and it is generally a slow time for dive shops around the country, thus allowing them to attend.

Bottom Line:
1. Attend the consumer shows if you are a diver looking to meet the people behind the products and see the new products for that year. go to DiveShow.tv for a one stop URL for a list of all of the consumer shows.
2. Exhibit at or at least attend DEMA and support your industry if you are a working dive industry professional.

If these two simple things are done, most of the issues being discussed would go away.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom