DEMA / Ginnie Springs Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mack Diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The Mrs. and I are still in Orlando. DEMA finished Saturday and we decided to hang out for a couple of days and cool our jets. DEMA was a good show, although lightly attended. Several of my reps reported as few as helf of their accounts came to DEMA. There was not a great deal of new products, like there was last year. Aqualung has a new fin out, the Slingshot. It is hinged back towards the heal and has a couple of adjustable power bands that connect netween the blade and the toe. It is an interesting concept and we'll have to see how it does on the market. Zeagle is coming out with a new wrist computer in January. The seminars were good and we'll be trying to incorporate some of the lessons learned into our shop operations.

Today, we drove north to Ginnie Springs. The first dive at Ginnie was interesting. I was surprised at how small the cavern is. I had pictured a room with lots of space. Bottom is 55' and the temp, like Aquarena is a constant 72. I'm usually comfortable in a 3/2, but not moving around much made me chilled quickly. I ended the dive after 30 minutes since I had seen all there was to see, at least twice. The 2nd dive was the Devils Eye complex. You are not allowed to carry a light unless you are certified cave. These spots made Ginnie look huge. Thin slits in the ground where you drop down to a bottom that ranges from 18 - 45 feet, depending on which entrance you use. I think the entrance closest to the river is called Devil's Ear. The force of the water coming out of there was amazing. I literally had to pull my way down to the bottom to get to the cave entrance. It was very narrow down there and not a lot to look at without lights. A couple of cavers were doing a deco stop there, so I got some impression of the detail from their lights. :popcorn: This little taste of cavern was not enought to convince me to go for full cave. However, I was a bit envious at all of the dry suits roaming around the park. All in all it was a cool trip. I think tomorrow we'll just hang out here in Orlando and then fly back on Wednesday. DEMA is in Las Vegas next year, so I'll probably leave the dive gear at home.

Mack, did you dive the river? We dove Ginnies and the river there back in the 80s. In the river the gar follow you down river to Ginnies. Sorry to hear about the lack of attendence. Hopefully, that will improve at Vegas next year.

Mack,
Thanks for the heads up on DEMA.

Zeagle has been threatening a new computer since DEMA 2005 when I went. They usually use computer developed by Benthic out of Europe- although things might have changed.

Diverite did show off the Nitek X and I have seen one photo of a live unit so that gives me hope that that unit will hit soon enough. Presently, in dive testing…

Drysuits are great especially if you are teaching in Texas. It’s not the water that used to get me on training dives it’s that surface interval with the wind that is killer- burrrr cold.

I have dove the site at Ginnie and it is very exciting. Another option is a guided tour with a cave instructor. Diving in overhead environment requires cave training for divers with no prior training (safety statement.) The run between little devil and the Santa Fe river is awesome.

Just as a side note there is very limited diving at the B29 site at Lake Mead and some of the other construction sites from prior damn building leftovers.
Las Vegas has some great sites and lots of walking.

Have a safe trip.
Regards, Andrew

I didn't dive the river. Just the little fork that runs from the river to Devil's Eye. While there was not an abundance of fish like you see at Travis, there were a few. I did spot a decent sized catfish back in a crevis in Ginnie.

Zeagle had a real live computer to show at DEMA. I forget who is doing the manufacture, but it looks like it will be a nice unit.

I doubt that I'll take the dive gear to Vegas. As I recall, from previous research, they don't run the charters this time of year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom