DEMA 2006 Impressions -Finally Part 1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks to all who have so kind to drop by and so generous with their time to report for all of us. I am trying to put my visits into words, but am falling asleep at the keyboard. :(

Now, can we please hear about all the exciting new products, ie regs, comps, etc. Please, please, pretty please. :D

I just got back from DEMA and I was really impressed with everything there. If you ever get a chance to go to DEMA in the future and it's at the Orange County Convention Center, remember to wear your comfortable walking shoes because you'll do some hoofing.:D

I just went for a single day, so I had to be selective in my choices of booths to visit. Most of my other comrades at my shop were visiting the travel booths, so I decided to check out the manufacturers booths. Lots and lots of new goodies...

Apeks has a status indicator built into the first stage that monitors intermediate pressure and other factors and tells you to get your regulator serviced. Cool idea, but a simple indicator would be if your turn your air on and the second is leaking, get it serviced.

Suunto has a new air-integrated computer with a built-in digital compass. I played with it for a little while, but it looks really good.

SeaQuest has a new BC that has inflate and deflate built into a single lever. Push down on the lever inflates the vest, pull up opens dump valves in the shoulder and on the bottom of the vest.

I'm sure there are a few people here who are fans of ForceFins, but the designs they came out with this year are just too weird for words. They have got to be seen to be believed.

Mares is introducing a mask with two different blends of silicone. One blend is stiffer and holds the shape of the skirt. The other blend is softer and that is the one in contact with your face. The stiffer silicone comes in the same color as the frame and the outer skirt is clear. Looks cool. Mares also has a wide version of the Nemo wriswatch computer. The larger readout is easier to see.

Aeris and Oceanic are both coming out with a mask that has a heads-up computer display. I had a chance to try one on and the display is in the bottom right corner and is fairly easy to read. I don't know how they'll deal with people who need glasses because the display is inside the mask.

If anyone remembers Seatec, they are coming back with a new line and some of the old favorites.

Those are just a few of the products that really stood out in my mind. There are probably quite a few others, but I'm really kind of tired now and it's hard to think of them.

Oh, before I forget, did anyone who went to the show notice that a couple of big name distributors were missing? Scubapro/Uwatec and Brownie's didn't have a booth there. Did I just miss it or did they blow off the scuba industry's biggest trade show???

dvrgaryc:
I just got back from DEMA and I was really impressed with everything there. If you ever get a chance to go to DEMA in the future and it's at the Orange County Convention Center, remember to wear your comfortable walking shoes because you'll do some hoofing.:D

I just went for a single day, so I had to be selective in my choices of booths to visit. Most of my other comrades at my shop were visiting the travel booths, so I decided to check out the manufacturers booths. Lots and lots of new goodies...

Apeks has a status indicator built into the first stage that monitors intermediate pressure and other factors and tells you to get your regulator serviced. Cool idea, but a simple indicator would be if your turn your air on and the second is leaking, get it serviced.

Suunto has a new air-integrated computer with a built-in digital compass. I played with it for a little while, but it looks really good.

SeaQuest has a new BC that has inflate and deflate built into a single lever. Push down on the lever inflates the vest, pull up opens dump valves in the shoulder and on the bottom of the vest.

I'm sure there are a few people here who are fans of ForceFins, but the designs they came out with this year are just too weird for words. They have got to be seen to be believed.

Mares is introducing a mask with two different blends of silicone. One blend is stiffer and holds the shape of the skirt. The other blend is softer and that is the one in contact with your face. The stiffer silicone comes in the same color as the frame and the outer skirt is clear. Looks cool. Mares also has a wide version of the Nemo wriswatch computer. The larger readout is easier to see.

Aeris and Oceanic are both coming out with a mask that has a heads-up computer display. I had a chance to try one on and the display is in the bottom right corner and is fairly easy to read. I don't know how they'll deal with people who need glasses because the display is inside the mask.

If anyone remembers Seatec, they are coming back with a new line and some of the old favorites.

Those are just a few of the products that really stood out in my mind. There are probably quite a few others, but I'm really kind of tired now and it's hard to think of them.

Oh, before I forget, did anyone who went to the show notice that a couple of big name distributors were missing? Scubapro/Uwatec and Brownie's didn't have a booth there. Did I just miss it or did they blow off the scuba industry's biggest trade show???

Thank you, that's some of the stuff I was hoping to hear about. I'll keep my opinions about the various products to myself, as I hope others in this thread will. Lets try to keep this as a DEMA report only thread.

Back
Top Bottom