"Delicate" subject, need assistance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Harley1962

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hello PPD'ers, I need a bit of advice (and assistance):

Several months ago (Summer 2007), I did a seven week tour (alone) of some of the "signature" dive spots in your lovely country. I did this purely of my own initiative (not to search for work!) and although I do work as an Instructor in Thailand, I was simply a "normal" diver / videographer, and I truly had a blast! I was very impressed with the overall coral health and wide variety of marine life, and coming from somebody that has worked on liveaboards in the Similan/Surin Islands and whose "backyard" is Phuket / Andaman Sea, I think it means something....

During the course of my travels, I met a few Dive Resort/ Shop Owners and I may now have an opportunity to come there (Visayas) to manage/work in a Dive Center (full-time, permanent). As I really don't know much about living costs in the Philippines (outside Manila), nor have I any idea of average salaries in the Dive Industry (of course it depends on location, how busy the place is, and what the duties of the job are etc...), I would like to communicate (privately) with somebody that IS employed as a Dive Professional in the Philippines, so I can get some idea of how things are (salary, work permits, living costs, commissions, etc...)

If anybody can put me in contact with such a person, I would be MOST grateful! I apologize for using this Forum in this manner, but the truth is that I don't have any personal contacts there that I can ask such questions, and I would like to independently "research" a bit before making any drastic moves, or change my present work situation.

Anyway, thanks for reading this and I hope to hear from somebody that might be willing to share a bit regarding working in the Dive Industry there?

HB

HB,

Try PM'ing Matt Reed. He works for Atlantis (believe he's now down in Dumaguete Atlantis Resort).

Last I heard, he's moved down to their Dumaguete ops.

yup. he is now managing Atlantis Dumaguete. my colleague will be doing her OW with him next week. :D. which reminds me, i should add Lilja in facebook.

Wow - it's as if everyones talking about me behind my back :wink:

Yes I'm in Dumaguete now and happy to chat...
Yes Lilja is on facebook, and even has a game of scrabble going - although her birthday is wrong as they wouldn't let a 5month old join(even though they say "anyone can join" - bloody fascists!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom