Delayed Equalization problems in one ear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

orangelemon

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Recently have been having equalization problems in one ear on a series of shallow dives (4-10 meters) when due to the nature of the dive you travel through the depths of 4-10 m throughout the dive. During the latter part of the second dive my right ear has trouble (or cannot) clear when I approach the 10m mark, I have never had equalization problems before and can dive deep 30-40m (directly) with no problems.

Is my problem due to the eustatian tubes being opened and closed repeatedly so they decide not to clear ? Having seen a local doctor here I was given tablets (to open the tubes, having used them once they seem to work). My next step is to see a diving doc unless anyone can give me any relevant advice

Many thanks in advance

Go to;
http://faculty.washington.edu/ekay/
and watch the streaming video.

"The Diver's Ear - Under Pressure"

It will tell and show you a lot about your ears.

Usually when clearing is getting harder after dives it is because you are not equalizing soon enough or often enough and are irritating the tissues. Not a medical opinion, just my observation over many years of diving.

Thanks so much for the post, Im pretty sure you are correct and will consiously equalise more often next dive and see how it pans out, have seen that streaming media file before, great viewing and should be shown on IDCs
Thanks again

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom