degrees of separation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

haumana ronin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
How many degrees of separation do you think the worldwide scuba community has? They say that scuba is a good way to meet new people and it seems to be true, and they also say that the whole world is only separated by around 6 degrees of separation, so scuba is definitely less than that.

My guess is three, based on a huge swag. :dork2:

:zen:

My answer is not very many. I was surprised that I was only 1 or two degrees away from some of the posters on this board. But I think the cave / tech community in particular is still pretty damned small.

Replied using Tapatalk. Please forgive my typing.

Considering that many people on Scubaboard know each other, I'd say I'm within two to three degrees of every member based on online interactions. With real-life interactions, I'm probably around three degrees of most Scubaboard members, as I know a few in real life.

As for worldwide scuba community, I know quite a few local divers around Vancouver Island and Vancouver (some very well known and well traveled; some employees/owners of dive shops; many instructors/DMs), so within BC, I'd probably be within two degrees from most divers. I've only traveled to the Dominican Republic outside of Canada and met a few instructors/divemasters there.

I still think it's a safe bet that I'm within three or four degrees of separation from most scuba divers, as the 'theory' is that everyone is connected by six degrees or fewer.

I am surprised when Debbie and I go halfway around the world and meet people on dive boats we know from elsewhere. No relatives though. They are not water people (except my nephew, also named Dennis) When I sit here isolated in my office in Colorado, I get on scubaboard and am immediately among friends, which is good, because today I really need to be among friends.
DivemasterDennis

Six degrees of separation? I am amazing how many people I come across around the world with only "one degree" of separation.

• In Cayman last week one of the DMs had lived in the BVI for six years, and knew most of the dive pros that I knew.
  • The captain of the Truk Odyssey whom I met in Truk Lagoon was formerly from St Croix, and again, we knew many people in common.
  • When I met Bret Gilliam (founder of TDI) he told me that he was an old drinking buddy of Bert Kilbride, stalwart of BVI diving and an old drinking buddy of my Dad's.

It is a small, small world.

I'm Nobby no mates and would probably need 60 degrees of separation to find one person

Back
Top Bottom