DeepOutdoors Harness - Single Tank Use Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Daylonious

Señor Pantalones
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Question -

I recently got certified for doubles using a Deep Outdoors backplate and wings. I am planning a trip to Bermuda at the end of the month where I will be using a single tank adapter and a single tank wing.

My question is this, is it "kosher" to setup my regs as I would in doubles? I.E. use the 7foot hose as my primary reg, and have the secondary in front of me, attached with a silicone tube looped over my head?

I like the idea of diving this way, as opposed to using the short hose reg and having the long hose clipped to a d ring or something.

I guess each diver can setup his equipment the way he wants, as long as it's not dangerous. Just wanted to ask for comments from some more experienced tek divers.

Thanks!

Daylonious

While the 7' hose configuration has nothing to do with DIR (as in they are not sole users of it nor did they invent it) it is also a very good config for single tank diving - Go for it!

You might find that the 7' hose might be a bit long or will not stay in place if you have no pocket, reel or light to tuck it under but you can always tuck it under the belt - unless you have the above mentioned tools.

So in short.....do what feels good and don't sweat the small stuff.

Daylonious:
Question -

I recently got certified for doubles using a Deep Outdoors backplate and wings. I am planning a trip to Bermuda at the end of the month where I will be using a single tank adapter and a single tank wing.

My question is this, is it "kosher" to setup my regs as I would in doubles? I.E. use the 7foot hose as my primary reg, and have the secondary in front of me, attached with a silicone tube looped over my head?

I like the idea of diving this way, as opposed to using the short hose reg and having the long hose clipped to a d ring or something.

I guess each diver can setup his equipment the way he wants, as long as it's not dangerous. Just wanted to ask for comments from some more experienced tek divers.

Thanks!

Daylonious

Well, you're new here ... so I'll try to be gentle ... :D

First off, in this forum we discuss DIR techniques ... which means that any responses appropriate to this forum would not recommend setting up your equipment any way you want. In here, we discuss setting up equipment in the manner in which DIR specifies it gets setup.

If you wish to get responses on other ways to do it, you'll have to post your question in the Basic Discussions or Hogarthian forum.

But, to answer your question ... yes, you would set up your regulator with a long hose as your primary second stage, and your backup second stage on a bungee looped around your neck ... DIR specifies that you use your regulators the same way whether you are diving a singles or doubles configuration.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Thanks! I appreciate it.

When getting the doubles cert, DIR was mentioned quite a bit and I believe that we set up our equipment about 99% DIR. I just wasn't sure if that carried over to single tanks or not.

D.

NWGratefulDiver:
Well, you're new here ... so I'll try to be gentle ... :D

First off, in this forum we discuss DIR techniques ... which means that any responses appropriate to this forum would not recommend setting up your equipment any way you want. In here, we discuss setting up equipment in the manner in which DIR specifies it gets setup.

If you wish to get responses on other ways to do it, you'll have to post your question in the Basic Discussions or Hogarthian forum.

But, to answer your question ... yes, you would set up your regulator with a long hose as your primary second stage, and your backup second stage on a bungee looped around your neck ... DIR specifies that you use your regulators the same way whether you are diving a singles or doubles configuration.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Daylonious:
Thanks! I appreciate it.

When getting the doubles cert, DIR was mentioned quite a bit and I believe that we set up our equipment about 99% DIR. I just wasn't sure if that carried over to single tanks or not.

D.
Absolutely! In the first DIR-F class I took, only one person (out of eight) was in doubles. In the second DIR-F class, everyone was using a singles configuration.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Okay -

Forgive me for what seems like a newbie question. But what org offers "DIR-F"? I'm in Dallas - is this primarily a "how to set up equip to a standard cave dive rig" kinda a class or more of a certification?

My understanding is that it's a universal way to setup a rig so that you have minimal "entanglement" areas and are pretty locked down as far as your equip goes. Also, I understand that it has a great focus on buyoncy (sp?) control and not kicking up silt when moving about. Lastly, I understand that it's a standard so that even while blinded, another tek diver can locate any equipment on someone else.

??

D.

NWGratefulDiver:
Absolutely! In the first DIR-F class I took, only one person (out of eight) was in doubles. In the second DIR-F class, everyone was using a singles configuration.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Daylonious:
I recently got certified for doubles using a Deep Outdoors backplate and wings.

Just wondering: What agency certifies people for using doubles? I've never been aware of the fact that I was supposed to use only a single tank... ";-)

Reinoud:
Just wondering: What agency certifies people for using doubles? I've never been aware of the fact that I was supposed to use only a single tank... ";-)
Technically, NAUI instructors can create specialty classes if they meet a certain criteria specified within the agency S&P. It is conceivable to create a NAUI Doubles Specialty (with C-card). I imagine other agencies do so as well.

Personally, I'd rather see someone learning through training than by just going out and doing it ... if nothing else it reduces the learning curve. I just recently took a doubles workshop, and although I had been diving doubles for a while I got a lot out of it.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Personally, I'd rather see someone learning through training than by just going out and doing it ...
I can agree that "going and doing" isn't for everybody, but
NWGratefulDiver:
I just recently took a doubles workshop, and although I had been diving doubles for a while I got a lot out of it.
Be so kind to explain what an experienced diver can get from such workshop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom