Deeper rated cameras?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CaveMD

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
What are some decent camera/housing combo options for ~300' territory? would like to keep it under $500 if possible but I realize that may not be the case since most of the ones I'm seeing with 180-200' are in the $500-1000 range already

thanks

The biggest problem with modern housings going deep are push-button controls — aside from implosion of course. There comes a point where the pressure holds the button in, or the spring pressure is too high to comfortably use at shallow depths.

I have not seen tests on all the different controls on the market, but I know some become a problem at about 350'. It is not quite as simple as just calculating the area of the control gland times pressure. Resistance increases on the button due to O-ring friction and buttons can be pushed in but don’t pop out under spring pressure. Keeping them well lubricated helps.

My Ikelite/G11 is only rated to 200 ft.....and it already kills your $500 budget.

But unless I drop it, that's about 70 feet deeper then it needs to go.

Try the G11/12 Patima housings! Although it will blow your budget out of the water and then some but they are rated to 300+ ft!

Back
Top Bottom