Deep vein thrombosis and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bluebanded goby

Contributor
Reaction score
Some of the folks on a regional diving message board in my area have been discussing a wire story about a young woman British diver who sadly died on an airplane of apparent deep vein thrombosis after a long flight from Singapore to London.

I was given to understand that deep vein thrombosis is believed to be caused when blood clots form, particularly in the legs, during long periods cramped up as one might be during an airplane flight (hence the nickname "economy class syndrome"). I was under the impression that it has no relationship to decommpression illness or the nitrogen saturation status of the person affected, nor is it related to pressurization or lack therefore of the airplane. The fact that this particular victim was a diver, therefore, seemed to me to be just a coincidence.

Are my impressions correct, or are there suspected connections between diving or decompression illness and deep vein thrombosis? The messagers on the other board seemed to be heading in a direction that assumed that these were related. Thanks for any input.

Your original impressions are, I believe, correct. The press release alludes to the victim's acquaintance with the "dangers of flying after diving" which is worded it typical media fashion that could leave open some association between the two... or not. Typical hysteria-mongering.
To avoid DVT get up and move around a bit every hour or two - if your neighbor complains explain what you're doing and he [she] will join your excursions.
Rick

Hi bluebanded goby,

I am not aware of any research linking DVT & scuba. However, there are some occasional effects of diving, e.g., dehydration, platelet aggregation & coagulation activity in response to circulating gas bubbles, that could conceivably contribute to DVT.

In any event, DVT is a potentially very serious event, and a number of experts believe its relationship to flying has long been underestimated.

In terms of prevention, stay well hydrated throughout your entire trip & follow conservative dive-fly guidelines. When on the plane, wear loose socks or even better snug support hose, remove your shoes, don't cross your legs, and get up to take frequent walks in the aisle. Seek immediate medical attention if you experience leg pain, tenderness, swelling, increased warmth, redness, skin discoloration or joint pain, especially if only one leg is involved.

Happy New Year.

DocVikingo

Back
Top Bottom