Deep Submersible Accidents....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trymixdiver

Reaction score
I was watching the 3d Imax of the Ghosts of the abyss on Sunday and i realized i never heard of an accident ( resulting in death) involving Deep Subs.

Does anyone know of any ?

Andy

I cant recall one, they must be doing something right. I will do a search and see if i come up with any.

I saw a movie once where a submersible got attacked by a giant squid and the 2 people inside got eaten.
Joens

I did a search and found nothing on Deep Submersible accidents. Plenty of Military sub accidents but none classify as a deep sub / research sub.

Andy

i find this interesting.

yes i went through that whole site, all Military subs and none you would call a Deep Submersible.

I spent hours and hours last night and found nothing.

Andy

which is a good thing.

can't recall the name but as I recall it was rammed (by a surface ship I think). I almost seem to recall that the deepest free ascent ever was made from it after the accident. Too busy to research it now.

WW

there is some accident reports on www.psubs.org

but none that I would call "deep" submersables, like the trieste, or the mir submersables. I have heard that there was an accident with the first of the mir's, but no confirmation on this.
The only other accident that I have heard of is the incident when the ship carrying alvin sank, but that dosen't really count :wink:

If a Deep Submersible has an accident at 15 feet, is this considered a Deep Submerisible accident or a Shallow Submersible accident?

If someone has a Guiness book (its not on website) look for deepest submarine escape or similar.

WW

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom