Deep Solo Wreck Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did you do this on singles?

Yes, although there were a number of them (double tanks were not readily available at that time in Bonaire). Back air was a single 80 cu. ft. aluminum cylinder. Which would have normally been enough for me to do the dive. Extra cylinders were available on the tree and with each of the three safety diver teams.

Extra cylinders were available on the tree and with each of the three safety diver teams.

At what depth was the nearest stage?

You were either diving solo (in an overhead environment on air) without any redundancy at 200 feet or you were diving with buddies but without a (sufficient) gas plan for that.

It seems that more is wrong here than the "unexpected" OOA situation with one of the divers and the narced condition of another.

Are you sure your Diving Education was adequate?:wink:

...Are you sure your Diving Education was adequate?:wink:

You obviously don't think so, but it's easy for you to say. :happyjazz:

There was nothing about the pre-dive plan that I assessed to be an unacceptable risk to me. Although an emergency ascent from 190' to 30' (to the stage) wouldn't be something I would look forward to, it was within my capability. I did however have safety divers and extra air at 130'. In the clear water of Bonaire, both locations were attainable.

As far as an overhead environment is concerned, I was briefed on the wreck. It is on it's side with the hold area open. Penetration was 6 or 7 feet into the hold and the exit was easily available at all times. Having experience with wrecks and caves, this wouldn't meet my definition of an "overhead environment."

From DCBC public profile:
Dive History
I've been diving for the past 44 years (age 12) and have been teaching for the past 37 years. I've been a member of the Experimental Diving Unit (Diving Officer), Defence and Civil Institute of Environmental Medicine (Navy) [now the Diving Research Facility, Defence Research and Development Canada (DRDC)].

From gcbryan public profile:

Certification History
OW,AOW,Nitrox,Rescue
# of Logged Dives
500 - 999
Dive Classification
Experienced Diver
Years Certified
Ten Or More Years

:rofl3::rofl3:

For one, I commend you for sharing the story. There might be people on the board who would flame you for deep air (seen plenty of that), for going that deep with singles, or for other reasons. But I think the day people stop sharing stories because of what 'people on the internet' might say, then everyone is poorer off.

I remember in 1991 when I was a newbie DM candidate, and someone gave me a copy of Gary Gentile's Advanced Wreck Diving. I started reading it, and before I was out of the first chapter I was like "They do what!?!" I accepted readily that people might go past recreational depth limits, but the idea that some lunatics might dive to 250 feet and then penetrate shipwrecks on their own just seemed the height of madness to me. But then I had no idea about the wider world. That said, I devoured the rest of the book, and then hunted out other books about this crazy species of diver from the North Atlantic to learn about what these people do, how they did it, and discovered that a great many of them died whilst doing it.

Short point being: there is a lot to be learned from experiences that push the envelope. People might not like the fact that you did it (and less happy that the other two did it), but they would be wise to listen and learn from it. I suspect those instructors learned something they never learned on the IDC. Luckily for them they lived to tell the tale.

Yes, although there were a number of them (double tanks were not readily available at that time in Bonaire). Back air was a single 80 cu. ft. aluminum cylinder. Which would have normally been enough for me to do the dive. Extra cylinders were available on the tree and with each of the three safety diver teams.

You're a braver man than me ! I start to get scared below 100 feet on a single these days.

You were either diving solo (in an overhead environment on air) without any redundancy at 200 feet or you were diving with buddies but without a (sufficient) gas plan for that.

It seems that more is wrong here than the "unexpected" OOA situation with one of the divers and the narced condition of another.

The dive in the original post was in 1984. Lets subtract everything that you consider required, there was no:

1. NITROX Therefore no NITROX or O2 deco gasses
  2. Mix Gas
  3. Big steel or aluminum tanks - Steel 72's and aluminum 80's were about all there was.
  4. Stage tanks - there were pony's (30's & 40's) and hung tanks, stages as you know them were not developed yet
  5. Dive computers
  6. Computer decompression programs
  7. Desk top Computers and email (Well the Mac was around and then there was the Comador line that hooked up to your TV)
  8. Internet
  9. Wreck Diving certs
  10. Deep diving certs
  11. Decompression certs, Well just about any cert above AOW and less the DM or AI
If we took all of that away from you, what could you do?

What there was, was:
  • air to 250 feet
  • Navy DECO Tables
  • A watch or mechanical bottom timer
  • A depth gauge

A dive to 200 feet for 20 minutes got a deco of

30 feet for 3 minutes
20 feet for 7 minutes
10 feet for 27 minutes

and no, we were not droping like flys and the rate for getting bent on the Navy tables, when followed correctly, was well below 0.5%.

... I'd like to hear more of the specifics of your dive...
In my case, the prudent gas plan called for two bottom gas tanks rather than the single 80's we ended up using. In those days Nitrox had just become available on the Island - still no ready source of Helium - and we used a 32% travel gas staged at 130', with a line run from the stages to the wreck. To make a long story short...
(1) my safe second started a "small" freeflow at 180' or so. No big deal, I just switched to that one and breathed it... the increase in gas consumption was tolerable and I'd watch it closely.
(2) my #1 buddy (over 5000 dives) wanted to stretch our planned bottom time by "just a little." Ok... but only a very little - one minute.
(3) when we came up to the top of the hull for our swim back to the line, a little current on the nose had picked up - had to work a little to get back to the line.
(4) I decided I had enough gas to retrieve the line rather than make the direct swim to our stage bottles (my buddies did take the direct route).
---
Analysis:
A 200' dive on air becomes a serious overhead environment after only a few minutes. Any catastrophic gas failure requiring an ascent all the way to the surface would be certain DCS, perhaps even fatal (see "Rouse.") I made two stupid decisions on this one. First, the decision to go with a single bottle of bottom gas was stupid. Had my freeflow been a serious one I'd have been totally dependent on my buddies to get me back to my stage bottle, and with the current picking up they weren't much better off on gas supply than I was. Second, the decision to leave the nitrox stages at MOD was stupid. The reasoning was, of course, to eliminate the possibility of getting confused and breathing the wrong gas at depth - a reasoning that made sense when carrying two bottom gas bottles and enough bottom gas to execute an air deco profile in the event we got blown off the wreck and couldn't get back to the stages, but double stupid considering we'd decided to carry only one bottom gas bottle. That nitrox would be just fine for an emergency ascent to first stop depth, and I should have kept it with me.
Next three stupid decisions were the handling of the three minor glitches to the plan that occured.
The mild freeflow - I knew immediately why it was happening. I'd rigged a Conshelf second on a Legend first. The Legend is overbalanced and increases IP over ambient as you go deep. My Conshelf was tuned for a lower, constant IP. So I was confident it wouldn't go ballistic on me, but also confident I couldn't stop it with a standard pop-on-the-palm. The decision to breathe that second stage was ok; the decision to continue the dive was stupid, and probably influenced by a narcotic "inappropriate feeling of well being" from air at 180'. The decision on how to handle a freeflow - even a small one - on a deep air dive should be made on the surface, not at 180'. Abort opportunity passed up. Stupid.
Next, my most experienced buddy wanted to stretch bottom time just a little. I should have thumbed it. How many times have I preached "dive the plan" over the years? Again, I can claim narcosis as a contributing factor, but that's no excuse at all. Part of the plan is to *not* get bright ideas on deep air, and to stick rigidly to the planned profile (or make it shorter/shallower). I had enough gas, but... another opportunity to be less than stupid passed up.
When we reached the top of the hull and noticed we had a little current to swim against to get back to the guideline, I made the (stupid) decision to go get the line and follow it, even though the visibility was at least 100' and it was easy to cut the corner to the reef and the stage bottles. (the geometry was a near equilateral triangle, so going for the line was twice as far as the stage bottles, and that first leg was directly into the current at 165', where cutting the corner would have allowed an immediate ascent to 130' and a track at 60 degrees off-current - and I must add that the spool in question was one of my el-cheapo homemade jobs that couldn't have cost more than $5, including the line and brass snap) I wasn't going the leave any evidence of my stupidity behind though, so using my Naval Aviator logic of "better to die than look bad" I made the long up-current swim to where the spool was tied off and dutifully wound it up to the stage, arriving with 156 psi on the digital readout. Stupid.
Made it, though, and it was a long time ago and nobody has pictures so you can't prove it :)
Rick

My opinion of the original post... Diving well over 200 feet with zero redundancy, was a ridiculous decision. Blaming the problem on the other guys is kinda silly too. Obviously the other guys screwed up, but did you REALLY expect that other people who dive this recklessly, would be responsible?

What if someone had a gear failure (rather than a human error)? You would have wound up with a very similar situation. So your failure to plan for a problem before entering the water was at least as great as their irresponsibilty of getting narced and stupid and going OOA during the dive.

I have no problem diving solo on air to around 200, but in that type of situation, I would have grabbed an additional 80 tank and clipped it to my waist strap.

In short, to assume that some cowboys that are gonna dive 200 ft plus on air with zero redundancy are going to dive in a responsible manner is the primary cause of the problem.

The dive in the original post was in 1984. Lets subtract everything that you consider required, there was no:

1. NITROX Therefore no NITROX or O2 deco gasses
  2. Mix Gas
  3. Big steel or aluminum tanks - Steel 72's and aluminum 80's were about all there was.
  4. Stage tanks - there were pony's (30's & 40's) and hung tanks, stages as you know them were not developed yet
  5. Dive computers
  6. Computer decompression programs
  7. Desk top Computers and email (Well the Mac was around and then there was the Comador line that hooked up to your TV)
  8. Internet
  9. Wreck Diving certs
  10. Deep diving certs
  11. Decompression certs, Well just about any cert above AOW and less the DM or AI
If we took all of that away from you, what could you do?

What there was, was:
  • air to 250 feet
  • Navy DECO Tables
  • A watch or mechanical bottom timer
  • A depth gauge

A dive to 200 feet for 20 minutes got a deco of

30 feet for 3 minutes
20 feet for 7 minutes
10 feet for 27 minutes

and no, we were not droping like flys and the rate for getting bent on the Navy tables, when followed correctly, was well below 0.5%.

I was kidding him a bit, thus the use of the :wink: since he has had one of the longest running threads regarding Diver Education.

I do think it would have been prudent to sling another 80. Therefore I don't think the only problem was the other divers.

It was posted for discussion. No one else has said anything other than "great job".

I'm entirely aware of his extensive background and it's why I enjoy reading his posts.

I've not implied that anyone was "dropping like flies".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom