Deep Sea Detectives / Full Face Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

StraitsdiverGeo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have been looking for a full face mask that Chatterton , and Koler have used on Deep Sea Detectives, It’s a mask full face mask that appears to be two piece. The lower mouth piece is removable. I have been doing some web browsing but have come up empty handed. If someone knows the brand name it would be a big help.

Thanks in advance.

Regards, George

I just seen one one ebay. I'm not sure if its the one your looking for but I do remember it did have a removable mouth piece. Good luck!

I have been looking for a full face mask that Chatterton , and Koler have used on Deep Sea Detectives, It’s a mask full face mask that appears to be two piece. The lower mouth piece is removable. I have been doing some web browsing but have come up empty handed. If someone knows the brand name it would be a big help.

Thanks in advance.

Regards, George

Why not ask the man himself. Chatterton is on Scubaboard. FYI.

Thanks all!! I have been looking in to, or for this for a while. If anyone has ever dived this mask please speek up. Blair, thanks for the link, I can do a little looking now.
Mike, I seen that John C had signed on to SB and I think that's way cool, but he most likely get bombared with questions every day. Besides, I wouldn't get a chance to converse with you. :wink:
Thanks again.

Regards, George

I have one and I like it. The only drawbacks so far are the tunnel vision caused by the small view port in a black silicon mask, and during surface swims it can be kind of dificult to use a snorkle. I have been able to use a Tilos folding snorkle with the mask. You need a larger bag to store and carry it if you leave it attached to the first stage regulator.

Advantages are:
1. You stay warmer, I dive 48 to 65 deg. water off Calif.
2. You can talk on the surface without removing the whole mask.
3. I can switch to my pony/octo/buddy breath without removing the whole mask and carying a spare mask.
4. If I pass out underwater I think I have a better chance for survival.
5. It seals nicely over a dry suit hood face seal and keeps you totally dry.
6. Looks really cool.
7. You can use almost any second stage regulator with it.

For the typical recreational SCUBA diver who is not diving contaminated water or doing professional diving like a Public Safety Diver, it is really simple to use compaired to other full face masks. Plus it is built by a company that makes professional commercial diving helmets and the regulator you can buy with it is tested by the U.S. Navy to 1600 FSW. Not that one could do a bounce to that depth.

JMC and Oceanic sold a rebranded M48 which made it much easier to obtain than through a Kirby Morgan dealer.

As full face masks go they are much more ammenable to sport and technical diving than an aga or something similar as you can easily swap regs underwater without having to switch to a conventional backup mask.

Muddiver It sounds like you use this type of mask quite a bit? Do you know if I can use any type reg with it? I'm a Poseidon guy when it comes to regs. Here in the great north woods, waters are cold, some of the best wrecks temps are down to upper 30s dreg f mid summer. I was thinking too, that I would have a greater safety factor if I sufferd from CNS that it might save my skin? Just some things I have been kicking around in the off season.

Regards, George

The M-48 comes with or without the KM Superflow second stage. You can put almost any second stage on the scuba pod, the Jetstream should mount well. Some standard designed second stages will have a tendency to ride pushed upwards due to the dewatering "tweetle" valve on the chin. The Superflow second stage that comes with the scuba pod has a relief for the valve in the exhaust tee. For a Jetstream, you'll have to stretch the pod a little, this shouldn't be much of a problem, I've stuffed a LAR-V DSV in one with little difficulty, off the top of my head, I think there's not much difference in sizes of these.

If you can't find a dealer for the M-48, OTS has them.

Muddiver It sounds like you use this type of mask quite a bit? Do you know if I can use any type reg with it? I'm a Poseidon guy when it comes to regs. Here in the great north woods, waters are cold, some of the best wrecks temps are down to upper 30s dreg f mid summer. I was thinking too, that I would have a greater safety factor if I suffered from CNS that it might save my skin? Just some things I have been kicking around in the off season.

Regards, George

Back
Top Bottom