Deep Dixie Divers: Favorite Local Dive Spots Directory

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

St. Andrews State Park
4607 State Park Lane
Panama City, Florida 32408
(850) 233-5140

Scuba diving is permitted, but spearfishing is not allowed. The park opens at 8:00 (unless you are camping) and closes when the sun goes down. Entrance is about $8/per vehicle unless you have a fully-loaded Family Truckster, or are camping.
Well-known for its sugar white sands and emerald green waters, this former military reservation has over one-and-a-half miles of beaches on the Gulf of Mexico and Grand Lagoon. Water sports enthusiasts can enjoy swimming, snorkeling, scuba diving, kayaking, and canoeing. Two fishing piers, a jetty, and a boat ramp provide ample fishing opportunities for anglers. Two nature trails wind through a rich diversity of coastal plant communities - a splendid opportunity for bird-watching. Those wanting to relax can sunbathe on the beach or enjoy a leisurely lunch under the shade of a picnic pavilion. Full-facility campsites, as well as primitive youth group camping, make this park a popular overnight destination. A concession offers snacks, souvenirs, and fishing amenities. Shell Island Boat Tours are available during the spring and summer.

There's a good deal to see here. You can spend an hour snorkeling in the kiddie pool area and not get bored (unless you have ADD). On the sound side, you can get to about 70ft, but most of the good stuff is in the 30fsw range.

I enter through a break in the rocks towards the center of the Jetty (see attached) and then travel deep (near where the sand and rocks meet) to the South or North. Once I hit my turn pressure or time, I ascend to a shallower depth (say, 20ft) and return to my starting point. You want to finish your second tank just before the end of high tide. Remember to factor surface intervals and tank changes into your schedule. Remember current is variable in both direction and strength, so plan your dive accordingly and build in a reserve on your gas pressure in case you have to hump it back against current. Also it's best to plant a flag at your entry/exit point, and tow a flag with you. It only takes getting hit in the head once by an ounce of lead to make a believer.

Clipboard02.jpg

Jetty_Map.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom