Deep diving as a goal - the stigma.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Control is the new deep.

Succinctly put!

IF the aim is to personally extend your maximum depth....in a responsible manner... then it should be approached through an ambition to improve your precision dive skills, planning and preparation. Personal depth records are merely the vehicle - the satisfaction itself being the self-knowledge that your diving is of a sufficiently high level to permit such dives to be conducted safely and properly.

Any damn fool can dive deep ... making it back to the surface safely is the hard part. Reading about the risks is easy ... preparing for them in terms of skills and equipment isn't all that overwhelming ... being mentally fit to deal with problems at depth is often the most important, and overlooked, part of preparing for deeper diving.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

If I sat with pen and paper for a week, I would not be ab;e to come up with a better line than this !!

Control is the new deep.[/B]

do you mind if I add this to my sig line? What a mantra!

Sure. Sig lines, bumper stickers, go for it.

When was serving on submarines, we were asked frequently "How deep can you go?" , and when asked now as a diver, I use the same answer, "All the way to the bottom" .

As others more eloquently replied, going deep is easy, coming back up alive takes training, time, skill, study, planning and in the worse case some good luck.

I wish you the best, be carefull.

Bob
-----------------------------------------
There is no problem that can't be solved with a liberal application of sex, tequila, money, duct tape, or high explosives, not necessarily in that order.

I think by now you have more than enough information to decide how you want to go about your deep diving path.

I want to add one more item.... Have yourself checked for a PFO or any form of pulmonary shunts by a diving physician. If you don't know what these are start reading, its useless spending time, money and getting bent or even worse!!!

If you are overweight, smoke, unfit or have any oher health issues stay away from deep diving! Deep diving can and will BITE!

Deep diving, trimix and all that are good if you have the training, equipment and a specific reason...however we've dove all over the world and there are way more cool things in the first 60' than below.

As diving in my kneck of the woods is on the upswing again, with a new crop of divers and boats to cater to them, what we do not see below 60fsw, is them. Not meant to be snarky, but at some point diving becomes about you and your goals, not about answering the same questions about gear, and why you look different, and why you need 3 pony tanks???
Eric

I see a lot of people are trying to disuade you from diving deeper. While I agree with their position, sometimes adversity just makes the will stronger. If you still remain serious- the right combination of patience , skill development, and life insurance will prepare you and your family for a continuation on this path to becoming a DEEP diver. Obviously, other divers are successful in doing so- seek out one or more Mentors as there is no better way of learning something than pairing yourself up with someone with more experience than yourself.

On the bright side the equipment, available gas mixes and training has never been better, so that will certainly help. Ultimately it will be you and your strength of mind, hours of simulated deep dives, and a cock-sure attitude that will be the difference between getting there and back as opposed to just getting there.

Lastly, if you haven't done so already, read a copy of "Shadow Divers". I think the book realistically portrays the victory of "personal besting" while pointing out the high risk factor in deep diving.

Follow your heart, but don't be foolish. Good luck.
Webbedfoot

Back
Top Bottom