Deep Cove wreck???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Duncan Campbell

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Can anyone tell me the exact location of the Deep Cove wreck near Sidney? I am looking for a start point, compass bearing, and distance... Anybody have pics or map of the area? Thanks

Well there is not much left of the old barge, if you swim strait out from the jetty at the Deep cove marina and follow the bottom in about 50ft of water you will hit what left of the wreck.

Also check Mark website for some good pictures

www.victoriadiving.50megs.com

There are some pictures and a basic description on my site:http://www.victoriadiving.50megs.com/deepcove.html
Here's a basic map of the place: I usually enter at Setchell Point and swim out underwater towards the marina. There's a compass heading, but I don't bother to know what it is. There are a few bouys near the end of the docks. One of them is pretty close to the wreck. The rocky reefs around Setchell Point are interesting too. -Not a load of life, but lots of cracks for things to hide in.

Thanks a lot for the info guys... I know theres not much there but Im just curious and want to see it. I also want to find the wreck near the Sidney reef balls. Any hints for that one???

Duncan Campbell:
Thanks a lot for the info guys... I know theres not much there but Im just curious and want to see it. I also want to find the wreck near the Sidney reef balls. Any hints for that one???
Another link from my site:http://www.victoriadiving.50megs.com/sidneypier.html I don't think it's as good as the Deep Cove wreck. I swam more or less straight North from the end of the pier (there's a little chart near the bottom of that link). I don't know if it would be easy to find again if the vis is as bad as when I went. The current can get pretty strong too. I think there used to be an old dock there. Maybe the wreck was tied up to it when it sank.

Make sure you hit it near high tide. Made the mistake of hitting it once near low tide and had near-zero vis. High tide brings in some clear water, which really improves the dive.

Bryan

Missed the Sydney Pier post; I was refering to hitting Deep Cove t high tide.

I'd second Swankinstein on Sydney pier - not a whole lot to see, and lots of kelp in the summer. Deep cove is definatly better (although I am tempted to find the wreck at sydney; didn't know that was there).

Bryan

I don't know if we'll make it there. We try to get to the best sites we can, cause we have to drive all the way out from Calgary. Luckily, my friends are getting more experienced, so I can take them on some of the more current-swept dives.

Speaking of which, I was checking out your page and it looks like you've found some interesting "unofficial" shore dives in the Victoria area. Are there any of those you think are particuarily good?

Bryan

Hey swankenstein,

I was looking at your page and found this pic:

obj28geo24pg1p27.jpg

What is that? I've come across a few of those while diving in Victoria and could never find a book which had a picture of it.

"That" being the big slimy thing.

Bryan

Back
Top Bottom