Dee, what kind of fish is this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubatexastony

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
he was about a foot in diameter and 3 or so ft. long, hiding in the cavern, all i saw at first was the mouth, bout' 5-6 inches across.
do puffers get this big?
aar.sized.jpg

we diving tomorrow? I'll call ya later.

tony

They get 1-2ft long with a max of 3ft!!! So no, you weren't nac'd and it probably was that big.

They lurk in or near cave openings and recesses and occasionally in grassy areas.

They are also called the Spotted Spiny Puffer.

Yep...diving tomorrow.

Nice Porcupinefish ! Thanks for sharing! Here's a distant "cousin" of your porcupinefish, a Map Puffer, I believe. It seemed to be much larger than the 60 cm. max (2 ft.) indicated in my fish guide book !

fd7b979f.jpg

In front of the porcupinefish is a sharpnose puffer (Canthigaster rostrata.) Beautiful small puffer species, very common in the Gulf of Mexico, with a max length of about 4-5."

A brand-new species similar to the sharpnose was discovered in the Gulf just within the last 2 years. The common name is the goldfaced toby. It appears in the third edition of Humann's book. I was on a trip last year where someone else saw and photographed one, but not me. Bummer!

Greg Bunch
gbunch@gbundersea.com
http://www.gbundersea.com
Home of the MXTENDER and Save-A-Lens Kit

Back
Top Bottom