Dedicated Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brucebowker

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
How many have a regulator dedicated to Nitrox only and a 2nd regulator dedicated to air only?

How many use one regulator for both?

Thanks

Bruce

brucebowker:
How many have a regulator dedicated to Nitrox only and a 2nd regulator dedicated to air only?

How many use one regulator for both?

Why bother with a dedicated nitrox reg when most regs are nitrox ready for up to 40%?

FrediSub:
Why bother with a dedicated nitrox reg when most regs are nitrox ready for up to 40%?
Ditto!

One for both. Maybe if I were doing some advanced nitrox or something I'd do the dedicated route, but for EAN up to 40% I don't see the need.

Thats my answer pretty much also. BUT this is from one manufacturer:

This decision (for dedicated regulators) was based with the safety of the consumer in mind and the fact that fires can and do occur with Nitrox due to contamination, usually from dirty air. Air is usually held to a much lower cleanliness standard than Nitrox, and the assumption is that air is generally not going to be as clean as Nitrox. This was essentially the same policy that the other major manufacturers had, at least officially. Some, in particular *********** did not allow Nitrox at all, nor did some of the competitors who followed us with their own titanium models. Sometimes the "If I don't ask it must be OK" policy is one people prefer to remember. We have never tried to conceal our policy. It is prominently placed in every owners manual and service procedure, and is expected that the dealer will inform the consumer about Nitrox use at the time of purchase. "

I do have a dedicated O2 reg for deco mixes, but for EAN40 and below my regs are interchangeable.
Rick

As said above, for any thing recreational you can swap regs without worrying. (40% and less).
For anything above the reg must be o2 clean.

That said all of my regs get o2 cleaned (being a tech has it's perks), makes it easier to swap them if there is a problem. However, most have dedicated bottles to avoid hassles with hose routings.

I use:
dedicated 100% O2 (green hose/faceplate)
dedicated 50% O2 (yellow hose/faceplate)
the others are fair game
I still aways eyeball the deco tank before a gas change just in case the inconceivable happened.

Tom, if regs need to be O2 clean for anything above 40%, then why the seperation of 50% and 100%? Is it just so you know that the green hose ALWAYS is 100% so you NEVER use it below 20'?

I think he does it becuase it makes it as 100% O2 not air. Besides this way it lessens the chances of grabing the wrong reg at the wrong time.

Am I at least close on this?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom