decompression illness from a 33 minute 8.3 metro dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bends is singularly unlikely and AGE does not present with joint pain, so something like a PFO is also unlikely.

OP I agree with everyone that said better safe than sorry definitely .
But it really doesn't sound like youre bent.
I haven't been diving anywhere near as much as others posting here but the joint ache sounds a bit like how I felt after my first OW dive. Its possible you have used muscles in ways they just arent used to being used.

I Googled "late onset DCS symptoms" and got this:

Onset of DCS symptoms
Time to onset Percentage of cases
within 1 hour 42%
within 3 hours 60%
within 8 hours 83%
within 24 hours 98%
within 48 hours 100%

This chart is not making sense to me; what obvious thing am I missing?

Edit: Oh okay, I think I get it now. It is basically saying that 100% of cases of DCS present within 48 hours of the dive (i.e. if one has gone 49 hours past the dive without symptoms one is in the clear). So over half of DCS cases present within 3 hours of the dive, and the vast majority within 24 hours.

For some reason the chart just didn't click for me at first :blush:

It's a very, very low risk dive from a nitrogen loading standpoint. If, in fact, your ascent was controlled, that reduces the risk further. The long time period from surfacing to the onset of symptoms makes DCS a remote possibility as an explanation for your symptoms.

The fact that you are having vomiting and diarrhea, along with migratory arthralgias (aches in the joints) makes me think you have contracted a viral illness. I'd worry about staying hydrated, and see a physician if you are unable to keep fluids down, or if symptoms last for more than about 48 hours, or if you have high fever.

This thread is a great re-enforcer for the value of proper dive training. A great example of why I advise my friends against 'resort' dives. There's no substitute for proper dive training.

This thread is a great re-enforcer for the value of proper dive training. A great example of why I advise my friends against 'resort' dives. There's no substitute for proper dive training.

I don't understand this comment, in the context of the OP. It sounds as though this Discover Scuba dive was executed within very conservative parameters and with adequate control. If you are referring to the OP being unsure whether he was bent, I can point you to many threads here where fully certified divers have asked the same question. DCS has a plethora of fairly nonspecific symptoms, and the diagnosis can sometimes be difficult even for professionals in the field to make. I do not think the lack of dive training impacted either the OP's symptoms or his question.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom