decompression illness from a 33 minute 8.3 metro dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi there. I'm not sure if his is in the right topic but I just had a quick question. I went on my very first dive this Wednesday. As mentioned, it was for 33 minutes and the deepest we went was 8.3 meters. we started on a 3 metre cliff and went down the cliff to he final depth. It was a PADI discover scuba diving course and it was AMAZING! However last night I began feeling some joint pain. I also had some upset stomach issues suh as nausea and diarrhea. I'm from Canada and vacationing on the Adriaic so finding a doctor is not exactly easy so I did some symptom googling and I got many hits that said I may have he bends. I consulted some dive tables and it seems that you can stay at he 8 metro depth for 205 minutes without having to decompress so I most likely think I'm fine but I'm still a little worried and would like some confirmation from some experienced divers. When we ascended we did so slowly and we did pause for a few seconds a couple of feet above he surface. The dive took place at around 1 pm on Wednesday and I began to feel joint pain around 10 pm last night. It goes away with Advil. It's mostly in my shoulder, hands, ankles and hips on bohe sides of my body. It's a throbbing pain and it rotates from joint to jlint. Could this be the bends? Or just heat exhaustion and backpack pain since I am on day 26 of my Europe backpacking vacation?

Given the shallow depth, short dive time and slow ascent it sounds like a very low risk dive. You can get DCS like symptoms on a shallow dive by embolizing where gas is forced into circulation while making a rapid ascent and holding your breath. But it sounds like that did not happen. And if it did you would have most likely have had symptoms quicker than you did. Since you are googling on this try googling Divers Alert Network and give them a call, it's free.

Although it seems unlikely given your dive profile, it is not impossible. Seek medical advise from a trained professional. Do not delay medical evaluation.

DAN Divers Alert Network : About DAN : International Contact Information

Contact DANInternational Affiliates
DAN has the following international affiliates:

americaglobe.gif
DAN America (International Headquarters)

The United States and Canada
6 West Colony Place
Durham, NC 27705-5588
USA

1-800-446-2671 Toll-Free
+1-919-684-2948 General Inquiries
+1-919-490-6630 Fax
+1-919-493-3040 Medical Fax

Diving Emergencies
+1-919-684-9111 (accepts collect calls)
Contact DAN America

americaglobe.gif
DAN Brasil

Brazil
Av. Dr. José Bonifácio Coutinho Nogueira,
150 – Térreo – Edif. Galleria Plaza
Campinas – SP
CEP: 13091-611
Brasil

(19) 3707-1569 General Inquiries
+1-919-684-2948, Non-Emergency Medical Questions Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm (ET)

Diving Emergencies
+1-919-684-9111 - accepts collect calls
From Brazil: Call 0800 684 9111 and you will be connected directly with the Hotline.
From Other Countries: Select the corresponding telephone number and dial the telephone number above.

Non-Diving Emergencies
+1-919-684-3483 - accepts collect calls
Contact DAN Brasil

Visit DAN Brasil's Website

americaglobe.gif
DAN World

The Caribbean, Polynesia, Micronesia and Melanesia (except Fiji), Puerto Rico, Guam, Bahamas, British and US Virgin Islands, Central and South America, and any other area not designated below.
Diving Emergencies
+1-919-684-9111 - accepts collect calls
Visit DAN World's WebsiteTraveler Emergency Medical Services
Skype - TravelerEMS
English +1-202-470-0929
Spanish + 52-55-8421-9866
Portuguese + 55-11-3711-7063

Visit TravelerEMS's Website
europeglobe.gif
DAN Europe

Geographical Europe, European Territories, and Protectorates, with regional IDAN responsibility for the countries of the Mediterranean Basin, the countries on the shores of the Red Sea, the Middle East including the Persian Gulf, the countries on the shores of the Indian Ocean north of the Equator, as well as the related overseas territories, districts, and protectorates.
P.O. Box DAN
64026 Roseto (Te)
ITALY

+39-085-893-0333
+39-085-893-0050 Fax

Diving Emergencies
DAN Europe
+39-06-4211-8685

Contact DAN Europe
Visit DAN Europe's Website

japanglobe.gif
DAN Japan

Japanese mainland and islands, with regional IDAN responsibility for Northeast Asia-Pacific.
Japan Marine Recreation Association
Kowa-Ota-Machi Bldg, 2F, 47 Ota-Machi 4-Chome
Nakaku, Yokohama City, Kagawa 231-0011 Japan

+81-45-228-3066
+81-45-228-3063 Fax

Diving Emergencies
DAN Japan
+81-3-3812-4999

Contact DAN Japan
Visit DAN Japan's Website

austrglobe.gif
DAN Asia-Pacific

Australia and New Zealand, with regional IDAN responsibility for Papua New Guinea, Fiji, Indonesia, Malaysia, Vietnam, Singapore, Cambodia, Myanmar, Philippines, Vanuatu, India, Solomon Islands, Brunei, Thailand, Hong Kong, Korea, China and Taiwan.
P.O. Box 384
Ashburton, VIC 3147
AUSTRALIA

+61-3-9886-9166
+61-3-9886-9155 Fax

Diving Emergencies
DES Australia
1-800-088-200 (within Australia)
+61-8-8212-9242 (outside Australia)

DAN / DES New Zealand
0800-4DES111

DAN Asia-Pacific - Korea
(010) 4500-9113

DAN Asia-Pacific - China
+852-3611-7326

Contact DAN Asia-Pacific
Visit DAN Asia-Pacific's Website

africaglobe.gif
DAN Southern Africa

South Africa, Swaziland, Lesotho, Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Angola, Zambia, Zaire, Malawi, Tanzania, Kenya, Madagascar, Comoros, Seychelles, and Mauritius.
Private Bag X 197
Halfway House 1685
SOUTH AFRICA

+27-11-312-0512
+27-11-312-0054 Fax

Diving Emergencies
DAN Southern Africa
0800-020-111 (within South Africa)
+27-10-209-8112 (outside South Africa - accepts collect calls)

Contact DAN Southern Africa

Visit DAN South Africa's Website

Reactions: Jax
Unfortunately I am staying at a hostel and don't have phone access. The nearest city with a payphone is a half hour walk away and it's night time. My symptoms are almost completely eliminated with Advil. Would this be serious enough to fond a way to a phone? The pain is mild to moderate without the Advil. What do I risk by not going to a doctor? I'm really worried but my circumstances make it hard to do much unless I go the drastic route. Some sites say that mild cases can resolve themselves. is this accurate?

From your profile and the fact that two days elapsed before any symptoms, you definitely do not have DCS. It's probably food poisoning. Call DAN if you want but you're better off going to see a regular doc in person. Surely they must have doctors in the Adriatic or at least some sort of medical clinic? I managed to see a doctor in Yap for god's sake.

Hi there. I'm not sure if his is in the right topic but I just had a quick question. I went on my very first dive this Wednesday. As mentioned, it was for 33 minutes and the deepest we went was 8.3 meters. we started on a 3 metre cliff and went down the cliff to he final depth.

Take heart - like 98% (95%?) of DCS symptoms come up in the first 24 hours. However, I asked if this might be more appropriately in the medical forums so you can hear from the excellent professionals that haunt our boards! :)

Or just heat exhaustion and backpack pain since I am on day 26 of my Europe backpacking vacation?

I agree with all those that say "other things". As long as Advil alliterates the issues, it sounds like you are in a good place.

Now that you've found us, I hope you stay on 'board and pursue your SCUBA certification!

I Googled "late onset DCS symptoms" and got this:

Onset of DCS symptoms
Time to onset Percentage of cases
within 1 hour 42%
within 3 hours 60%
within 8 hours 83%
within 24 hours 98%
within 48 hours 100%

Given the benign description of your dive coupled with the time lapse before symptoms, I'd suspect everything else before DCS.

caveat: I have absolutely no medical credentials. < Well, I do teach first aid, but ... >

Gigen the low nitrogen load and 57 hours between your dive and the onset of the symptoms it's almost certainly not DCS. You might want to check with a local doctor to see what it is though.

Back
Top Bottom