Deco stop depth when breathing nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do a 6M safety stop for 3 mins whether on Air or EAN.

My computer does not start counting down the SS until shallower than 6 m; at 18 ft. And it would like me to stay between 10 ft and 18 ft (or is it 12?).

I'm not so sure that's correct. Consider that one of the reasons we use oxygen on the surface as first aid for suspected DCS is that it increases the gradient between the nitrogen in our body and in our lungs.

Adjusting safety stop depth for gas mix seems a reasonable proposal.

Diffusion out of the blood is also related to the gradient allowed by the gas you are breathing, so that is a very reasonable proposal.

I'm not so sure that's correct. Consider that one of the reasons we use oxygen on the surface as first aid for suspected DCS is that it increases the gradient between the nitrogen in our body and in our lungs.

Adjusting safety stop depth for gas mix seems a reasonable proposal.

I don't know if that is the case, since when underwater, pressure is applied to our whole body, if it was only applied to our lungs, then a diver who empties his lung completely at dept and perform an extremely rapid ascend would not suffer DCS because there is maximum gradient of nitrogen between the lung and body. They would then simply inhale 100% oxygen on the surface.

The fact is that the body will off-gas with or without pressure differential in the lungs, but from pressure on the body. After that, the transfer of that off-gassed nitrogen to the lungs will depend on the the percentage of nitrogen that is also being inhaled since nitrogen is being transferred to the bloodstream and exhaled at the same time, so the less inhalation of it, the better.

Seeing as this is advanced diving we should try to be somewhat accurate in our language while at the same time not getting mired in theoretical what if's. Otherwise the whole discussion is akin to building a house on sand or arguing the difference between brass snapbolts or stainless steel.

First, as Rob addressed, are we talking about decompression stops or safety stops. There is a difference and the approach to either is not the same.

Second, the OP needs to re look at his adjusted depths. I'm pretty sure 3m is not 2m on a standard EAN mix like 32%. Assuming a 50% adjusted depth will of course make one think there is a tangible difference in offgassing). Upon reflection, the real adjusted depth will be more along the lines of variance of a couple of feet which most recreational divers experience when doing a safety stop no matter what the mix. Compound this with the fact that a safety stop is only 3-5 minutes in length and the difference is neglible.

Just trying to keep it real.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom