Deco/stage rigging question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The bands melt off in warm climates. Also a not really DIR procedures that might hypothetically happen on a deep open circuit dive where dropping stages is that you might just use the clip on the second stage to clip off the hose when dropping the bottle to make the drop and the pickup faster. Again, not the best of procedures, but I have seen it done on deeper dives to speed things up. Most dives of this type are on breathers now so this isn't really applicable anymore.

Hey what was wrong with my deco and stage tanks??

Apart from some of the stage clips being a bit oversized and of course having my initials on all of them... :)

heh, not slamming your stages (although one had a pretty small clip for clumsy me in my drygloves).

Just saying that had I relied on stages having clips on them, I would be in some kind of trouble unless I wanted to mess with your stage bottles...

I don't have a bungee loop on my stage regs, and use 2 retainer bands on my bottles, however I could see it being a little messy if one band broke. With the remaining band at the top towards the reg, the bottom of the hose would be loose and could flap in the breeze or get caught on something. With the retainer band in the center, the second stage wouldn't really be very secure, and could get caught in the stream and pulled free. I have never seen a retainer band break, but its something to think about.

When I stow u/w, I generally stow the hose under a single band (esp with dry gloves) as its a pain to get it under both. Doesn't flap around too much.
Although I imagine I'd have a potentially different point of view if I had to scooter along a line for a few hours carrying it!

heh, not slamming your stages (although one had a pretty small clip for clumsy me in my drygloves).

Just saying that had I relied on stages having clips on them, I would be in some kind of trouble unless I wanted to mess with your stage bottles...

Haha I know, just pulling your chain.

I also only restow a reg under the upper band. Seems to work fine for my OW deco dives both when using a bottom stage and when cleaning up a deco bottle for the exit. The loop of LP hose doesn't catch on much of anything back there. The argon valve knob is about the only thing. And that doesn't happen cause an empty bottle floats butt up and keeps the loop of hose fairly far away.

When I stow u/w, I generally stow the hose under a single band (esp with dry gloves) as its a pain to get it under both. Doesn't flap around too much.

Same here and no troubles at all. Even with 3 bottles it's been a non issue.

We tend to do some long range scootering in Lake Ontario and the St Lawrence River, so when we are done a bottle, we stow it completely as we won't be using it again. To keep drills the same all the time, we do the same on deco. Just the angle I'm coming from.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom