Deco regulator - left vs right hose inlet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kohanbash

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all
For a deco cylinder on the left side. What are peoples thoughts about using a regulator with a standard (right) hose inlet vs a left hose inlet (shorter hose and not going around the neck)?

Hi all
For a deco cylinder on the left side. What are peoples thoughts about using a regulator with a standard (right) hose inlet vs a left hose inlet (shorter hose and not going around the neck)?

around the neck is much more comfortable... I use lefty regulators if I'm going to put the bottle on the right side, but I also use Poseidon regs which don't really care which side they're on

I second the around the neck is way more comfortable.

You’re definitely not wrong for asking. I tried this and found the hose out the left will want to wrestle the mouthpiece. You could keep some hose tucked to tame it but that doesn’t lend itself to a clean and clear gas switch (full deployment and hand trace back to reg, etc).

If you have to do a gas break, a right hand regulator around the neck isnt going anywhere.

Great point.

If you have to do a gas break, a right hand deco regulator around the neck isnt going anywhere.
Put your reg away during a gas break.

Gas switches are one of those times where you need to be able to donate gas to a buddy if he screws something up. A tangle of hoses is less than ideal should you need to give him a reg.

Hi all
Use a standard 40" hose. Behind the neck is more comfortable and uses up the hose yes. But you also may need to donate that reg, the one in your mouth, to an OOA buddy (or maybe the bottle is only off but they signal OOA etc etc). You need a reasonable length to do that so trying to use a shorty hose is false economy. 40" Octo length gives you enough to work with until you can get them onto their own gas or your long hose, or you share deco gas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom