Deco question re Long dive times

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hoppy

Reaction score
Hi,

Just read an article where some nut spent 10 days in a tank on scuba gear. (Hope he doesnt read this )

My question is this, assuming the depth to be about 4m, does the length of time of submersion at that depth incur a "deco" ?

Ignorance forces me to ask the question I'm afraid.

Thanks in advance
Hoppy

Dear Hoppy:

A study was made a few years ago concerning the minimum depths for gas bubble formation, as measured by the Doppler detector, following a saturation dive. {Eckenhoff RG, Olstad CS, Carrod G. Human dose-response relationship for decompression and endogenous bubble formation. J Appl Physiol 1990 Sep; 69(3): 914-8}. They found that some bubbles were detected after an ascent from 11 fsw. None of the divers got DCS.

While I would find it uncomfortable to remain in the water for such a long duration, the depth should be safe as far as joint-pain decompression sickness is concerned.

He may have exited the water looking like a prune, however.

Dr Deco:doctor:

On that Guinness shallow exposure record in Tennessee,
check out ADM for the story. While certainly not in the
sat/deco range, we did cut some 20 fsw and 30 fsw tables
with pure O2 washout on way up -- just in case.

Cheers,

:)

Cleared up things a bit, some of the people I dive with were insisting a trip to the pot would be needed.

Makes you wonder why people do these things ?

Anyway cheers again.
Hoppy

Back
Top Bottom