DECO Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sardiverdan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I have only been on here for a short time; however, I would like to pose a question to other dive teams out there. First question would be what is the depth limit that you have set for your unit and second, How often does your unit practice doing deco dives? As a general rule we do not do deco dives for a recovery but we do practice them in case we are forced into one for any particular reason. Just wondering what other teams are doing out there.

We do not do deco dives as in Canada our Labour Code prohibits a planned working deco dive unless there is immediate access to a chamber (most have interpreted this as being on site).

Our max operating depth is 130 feet. As part of the requals for the deep diving skills, on each set of deep diving training days the divers go through simulated deco dives on the premise of a blown bottom time, delayed ascent or exceeded depth. It has to be done a minimum of once a year but more often than not is done two or three times a year depending on the training schedule.

Deco dives do not belong in PSD. Granted, every dive is a deco dive in its own way but actually getting into deco stops should never be used.

There are Commercial and Tech divers out there as well as ROV’s to get the job done. Use them and keep PSD away from deco.

Our team trains to 130’ but as a general rule we hold the teams working dives to 110’. A couple of us will go deeper but not very often.

One thing to remember is most accidents happen during training and recovery work. Don’t push either.

Dive Rescue International encourages all students to plan their dives so they do not require mandatory decompression stops. The risk/benefit decisions are left to the individual teams and many teams follow our recommendation. There are many options (including mutual aid) that are available to ALL teams today.

I think the words above by Gary D are reflective of many of the well trained PSD teams operating in the United States.

The department I am affiliated with has done some deep bounce dives but has never exceeded the U. S. Navy no-decompression limits. All of these dives (less than a hand full) have included extended "safety stops" and the use of well trained divers with vast experience ... including off-duty, recreational dives to depth.

Last edited:
Our team does not do DECO dives, but then again, we are pretty much 45' and less!!!!!

We dont do deco dives either, We are at 5000ft elevation so we have to monitor our depth by utelizing elevation tables, the issue we run into is bottom time exceeding the safety limits. One reason for having a "team" is so your divers are not pushing their no-deco time limits. however we dont have many bodies of water here that will let you go over your depth limit, even at elevation. So bottom Time is what we monitor very closely, and we enforce safety stops, just not deco stops. I agree totally with Gary, there are ROVs and Tech divers that can do work were it is not safe to put a PSD. Its just not worth creating a second victim

Our dive team SOP's specifically require staying inside NDL's, but we also have very few locations here in Kansas that it becomes an issue. We also do not train our team divers in decompression diving, even though we have divers who are otherwise qualified to make mixed gas & deco dives.

If a recovery was needed beyond 'recreational' diving limits, we would consult / utilize tech divers and defer to their judgment as to the risk/benefit of performing a recovery.

The depth limit for any PSD unit that does not have a portable decompression chamber, in the U.S., shuold be 99.9 fsw. Per OSHA regulations any dive past 100' requires an on site deco chamber. And, if you are going to go to the trouble of dragging one out, you might as well use the U.S. Navy surface decompression table and put the diver in a warmer, safe and controlled environment during decompression. Consult your local commercial diving company or school for more information. National University could help you out, I could consult for you or you could try to get teh attention of the Underwater Construction Battalion over on base, but they are probably in Iraq right now.

Send PM if you want further info.

The depth limit for any PSD unit that does not have a portable decompression chamber, in the U.S., shuold be 99.9 fsw. Per OSHA regulations any dive past 100' requires an on site deco chamber. And, if you are going to go to the trouble of dragging one out, you might as well use the U.S. Navy surface decompression table and put the diver in a warmer, safe and controlled environment during decompression. Consult your local commercial diving company or school for more information. National University could help you out, I could consult for you or you could try to get teh attention of the Underwater Construction Battalion over on base, but they are probably in Iraq right now.

Send PM if you want further info.

My understanding is that OSHA is not a regulatory agency for public safety entities which are supported by law enforcement or fire departments. I am not aware of NFPA having any similar standard, but I would be interested if someone knows and could summarize their 'official' stance on deco diving?

Even so, any standards organization's rules might be brought into litigation resulting from an accident, so it doesn't hurt to be familiar with what you might be up against as an administrator or dive team leader.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom