decisions decisions...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jrk

Reaction score
I was hoping to get some opinion on this. I'm pretty darn sure I've convinced the wife we should buy a small boat for the growing family...fishing, diving, cruising. We have a place in Buxton, NC. (The Outer Banks of N.C). I see this as primary Sound usage, but would like to punch through the hatteras inlet if weather permits. Money is the issue, as always. I was hoping for some input on two boats I'm looking at. 1. The Parker 18 or 21 center console. What interests me about this make is the bow and hull...I hear Parkers are well made, but this has only been hear say. I also hear they are pretty stable in uglier seas. They also seem to have plenty of freeboard and transom. 2. Carolina Skiff. For the same or less money, I can get their DLX 23 which looks to have tons of room. I'm just not sure this boat would do well in small to medium chop...but man, tons of room. I know this is 'unsinkable' with foam core and overbuilt...but. I was interested in Twin Vee, but for the money, I think the Parker or Carolina would be better.
Any comments from those in the know, I would greatly appreciate the time and information. Tom, love to hear your input on this as you seem to have much experience.

Randy Kight
Richmond, VA.

I don’t know anything about the Parker, but the Carolina Skiffs I’ve driven were a pain in the butt running inlets if there was any noticeable current or waves. I never liked the way they handled chop and I never learned how to keep them headed the way I wanted with a strong following sea.

My wife just came in and told me to add that she didn’t like the wet ride on the Carolina Skiff in anything over a light chop.

I like Parker hulls - solid, well-built and heavy. I'd go for a Twin Vee in a heartbeat over a Carolina Skiff any day of the week.

I understand your dilema. You want a do everything boat in an economical and trailerable size that is seaworthy and comfortable. Hmmmmm, and you also want unsinkable. Well, why not just ask for the Easter Bunny? Meanwhile, there is only one unsinkable tough as hell boat, the one and only Boston Whaler.
Look for either a new Nantucket 190 (or used) or a used 18 to 20 foot Outrage. No center console is going to be totally comfortable. The compromise for all the open deck space which is highly desirable for fishing and scuba diving is that the only shelter is behind the console. Many Boston Whaler center consoles are equipeed with Mills forward tents and canvas tops or the metal T tops. For diving I like the canvas tops better---more shade and more comfort. We have on occasion carried a small portable head which when the forward tent is up there is enough privacy for the lady in an emergency. My Nantucket is fairly fast, very dry riding and seems to handle chop fine. The unibond hull is very solid and stiff. They cannot sink, in fact, with the bilge plug pulled my boat barely takes in enough water to wet the aft section of the deck. The boats are self bailing and if flooded by a rogue wave they can drive back up on top of the water and self bail--assuming you are not flipped upside down which even an RIB cannot deal with that. I will be adding trim tabs in the future to improve low speed handling--to keep the bow down when slow.

haven't been into boats in recent years since dad passed away, but I'd go with the parker. They always seemed well-made. The Carolina Skiffs (we had a small one for crabbing) were roomy, but I wouldn't want to take it out of hatteras inlet... ever.

I don't have experience with either boat you mentioned above. I have owned a Bayliner Capri model 1952 (19' Cuddy Cabin) for 5 years and use it off the coast of Massachusetts and Rhode Island. Like most things in diving, there is a balance between cost, features, space, engineering, etc. from one boat to the next.

The Good:
Space engineering - the best I found after researching several brands.
Reliable - I run my boat hard - heavy loads (3 tech divers with doubles and multiple stage bottles) out to 23 miles offshore.
Stable in rough seas - rough is relative from one person to the next - I have had my boat in steady 6' seas with strong winds and white capping peaks. This marine forecast is not the day to go for a cruise but if you know what you're doing she can handle it. I would not do anymore than this - and this was a one time shot for a relatively short duration to test "heavy weather" capability - you have made many mistakes as a captain if you are at sea by accident in these conditions. This past weekend I cruised 8 miles in 4-6' seas with white capping peaks. I would say this is the biggest seas comfortable (again relative) for my boat.
Price - what you pay for a 19' boat of another brand may be double what you would pay for a 19' Bayliner. The difference in the boats relative to the cost is not worthwhile in my opinion. This comes down to your priorities. This boat is more like a "Chevy" when compared to an "Audi".

The Bad:
Fuel tank - too small (23G) - would be nicer to be able to carry more gas for offshore excursions.
No Scuppers - have to rely on your bilge pump for any water. However as a cuddy cabin you can sink the bow and have it spill over the side. An open bow boat must have Scuppers to deal with waves crashing in over the bow and into the boat.
Small swim platform - mine comes with just a 1/2 platform on the right side. A nice full swim platform would be more convenient.

--Matt

I also am not super familiar with either boat, although I have seen both. I have heard that I/O configs are much more time consuming to work on, thus your repair bills will be higher. An outboard is easier to work on, and therefore will be less expensive to maintain, assuming both need the same maintenence.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom