Deciding on next U/W system

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Velour

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am currently looking at expanding my options for taking underwater pics, and hoping to get some input on the different options-

Currently use a p&s casio (no strobe) that takes surprisingly decent shots...

Recently purchased Nikon D80- First DSLR, and with lots of practice -hope to learn to take better pics in general.

I am looking to upgrade the U/W set-up, but after LOTS of research am wondering if I would be better off with something in-between what I have now and the housing set-up for the D80...perhaps a G9 or Sea&Sea setup Dx-1g or Dx-2g (coming out early next year??). From what I have read they seem like a good intermediate choice, and will give me a chance to get more comfortable using more of the camera's manual features. Or do I spend the extra on the SLR housing/associated equip-knowing that I will have more room to grow with this set-up?
Any advice greatly appreciated. I am looking to purchase in the next 3-4 months prior to my next dive trip to Wakatobi.
Monika

... Or do I spend the extra on the SLR housing/associated equip-knowing that I will have more room to grow with this set-up?

You are absolutely right in this sentence, I remember when I went this way in 2000.
I had a Motormarine IIex and an N80 for topside, the first dives are going to be pushy but don't give up, the learning curve is steep and the experience you would gain with a G9 or G10 would not be really helpful on a housed DSLR system.

Good luck and congrats on moving DSLR underwater!
I am planning a Wakatobi trip next year as well.

I must say...

If you plan to progress and stay in U/W Photography I would go into a good DSLR and a good housing like Ike-lite.

Last edited:
I must say...

If you plan to progress and stay in U/W Photography I would go into a good DSLR and a good housing like Ike-lite.

Sound advice here. Underwater Photography is not inexpensive however if you know you have the passion and plan on letting it grow....then start out with something that you can grow into and not something you can grow out of.

House the DSLR and learn it underwater. Your pictures will be much better and the skills will be invaluable as you take next steps (whenever that happens).

Last edited:
Since you have a camera you are using now, save up for the housing. There are alot of other directions you can go in, but eventually if you are serious you will wind up with an DSLR and a housing, so why waste more time?

I just took the plunge into DSLR myself. I don't regret it a bit, but it has been pricey! There's a lot of good advice around here on the board, scan the photography forums carefully.

Happy shooting!

I just took the plunge into DSLR myself. I don't regret it a bit, but it has been pricey! There's a lot of good advice around here on the board, scan the photography forums carefully.

Happy shooting!

Yes, I resigned myself to the cost. Just like I did when I took up diving, especially now that I seem to travel farther away :) I am curious, for those who made the switch from simple p&S to DSLR did you "take the plunge" all at once- 2X strobes, dome and flat port, lenses, etc. or start with a one type of lens/port? Would a single strobe be work-able?

I probably won't get to dive again in 2008- so the first chance to use the new set-up will be on my next dive trip. I will have time to do some research and save a little money, which is good. I can see how easy it would be to go nuts getting the equip, so I am trying to be a sensible. Decisions! Off to read more...

Regarding costs, housing your DSLR is the way to go. Money is an issue for us all and one good way to save is buying used. There are a lot of "early adopters" in this hobby that need the latest and greatest. If you check the classifieds here and wetpixel you can come up with a great system for the D80 at half the price.

If buying new and trying to decide between a Macro or WA set-up you have to decide what you like more; the little stuff or the big stuff. Some of this might depend on where you do the majority of your diving.

The D80+Flat Port+Nikon 60mm can cover everything from Nudibranch to Fish portraits. One strobe would be plenty for this. Trade off is with a Flat Port you can do limited reefscape, wreck, diver shots.

D80+Dome Port+Nikon 17-55mm (with +2Diopter) or Sigma 17-70mm can shoot ok macro, excellent fish portraits up to shark size, and ok reefscapes. One strobe can work but two are better

D80+Dome Port+Tokina 10-17mm great for large fish portrait to true Wide Angle. Two big strobes are ideal if you really like shooting large.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom