Deception Pass Area Dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sintax604

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello southern neighbours!

My buddy and I (and our women) will be camping at Deception Pass Park this weekend and we are planning on doing a couple dives while we are there. Having never dove the area before, we'd love suggestions. I hear the current can be kind of dodgey so any advice would be welcome.

Basically, we want to do 2 dives, as close to the campground as possible (currently planning on Rosario beach?) to keep the women happy. Please suggest the 2 best shore dives in the region and any particular points of interest/warnings that you can think of.

Thanks a bunch!

Well I would definitely recommend Keystone Jetty.
from: Deception Pass State Park, Washington to: Keystone Jetty (Fort Casey) @48.157161,-122.670668 - Google Maps
That link is directions from Deception Pass to the dive site (disregard the instructions that tell you to board the ferry... it seems google maps isn't perfect). It is a shore dive with two sites to dive. The jetty is piled boulders, about 200 feet long, and approximately 50 feet deep at the end. The pier also has lots of sea life on the pilings, and is a shallower dive.
In my opinion the jetty is the better dive, with more life to check out. Ling cod, greenlings, a kelp forest, and the occasional octopus can be found here.
Here is a pair of maps that I drew up on the site for my senior project:
Picasa Web Albums - Gavin - Keystone Maps

Enjoy your trip, and dive safe!

Oh, and I forgot to mention, currents can get rough, so the best time to dive is when current is slack and exchanges are low.
And the site is usually really busy on Saturdays, with all kinds of certification classes, along with weekend divers there. Any other day then that, however, usually doesn't see an abundance of people.

You definitely do not want to play with Deception Pass this weekend, especially in the afternoons. The exchanges are too big.

Rosario Beach I understand is a training site. I don't know the current issues there.

Keystone might be a very nice dive on Sunday morning -- the exchange is small and it's a flood, and Keystone is good on a flood. But Keystone is a half hour's drive from Deception Pass, and I don't know if you want to dive that far.

Skyline is also not far from you, and that's a lovely dive. You must time it for slack, however, and it would be best Sunday morning.

If you are not familiar with the area, I'd definitely inquire at the local dive shop (I believe there is one in Anacortes) about the sites you have in mind. Currents around there can be very strong.

Thanks very much for all the suggestions and warnings! I can't wait to check out a new site or two this weekend!

Cheers!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom